Limits...
Phenotypic and Molecular Assessment of Drug Resistance Profile and Genetic Diversity of Waterborne Escherichia coli.

Wolny-Koładka K, Lenart-Boroń A - Water Air Soil Pollut (2016)

Bottom Line: Numerous multi-drug resistant strains were detected, which however did not exhibit the ESBL phenotype.However, PCR approach allowed to detect ESBL-mechanism genes (CTX-M3, OXA, SHV, and TEM) in as much as 38 % of E. coli isolates.These results were coupled with significant molecular diversity of the E. coli strains revealed in BOXA1R-based rep-PCR technique.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Microbiology, University of Agriculture in Cracow, Mickiewicza Ave 24/28, 30-059 Cracow, Poland.

ABSTRACT

Bacterial Escherichia coli isolates were derived from waters of the Nowohucki Reservoir (Cracow, Poland) in summer and winter seasons. In total, 94 strains, identified as E. coli, were isolated from five sampling sites in the area of the reservoir. Based on the disk-diffusion tests, it was found that the tested isolates were predominantly resistant to ticarcillin and ampicillin. Numerous multi-drug resistant strains were detected, which however did not exhibit the ESBL phenotype. However, PCR approach allowed to detect ESBL-mechanism genes (CTX-M3, OXA, SHV, and TEM) in as much as 38 % of E. coli isolates. These results were coupled with significant molecular diversity of the E. coli strains revealed in BOXA1R-based rep-PCR technique.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

The proportion of multi-drug resistant E. coli strains
© Copyright Policy - OpenAccess
Related In: Results  -  Collection


getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4835524&req=5

Fig2: The proportion of multi-drug resistant E. coli strains

Mentions: Among the collected E. coli strains, 26 % were sensitive to all antibiotics tested. However, the remaining strains (74 %) were resistant to one or more antibiotics and 4 % of the isolates were resistant to even 12 antibiotics at the same time (Fig. 2).Fig. 2


Phenotypic and Molecular Assessment of Drug Resistance Profile and Genetic Diversity of Waterborne Escherichia coli.

Wolny-Koładka K, Lenart-Boroń A - Water Air Soil Pollut (2016)

The proportion of multi-drug resistant E. coli strains
© Copyright Policy - OpenAccess
Related In: Results  -  Collection

Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4835524&req=5

Fig2: The proportion of multi-drug resistant E. coli strains
Mentions: Among the collected E. coli strains, 26 % were sensitive to all antibiotics tested. However, the remaining strains (74 %) were resistant to one or more antibiotics and 4 % of the isolates were resistant to even 12 antibiotics at the same time (Fig. 2).Fig. 2

Bottom Line: Numerous multi-drug resistant strains were detected, which however did not exhibit the ESBL phenotype.However, PCR approach allowed to detect ESBL-mechanism genes (CTX-M3, OXA, SHV, and TEM) in as much as 38 % of E. coli isolates.These results were coupled with significant molecular diversity of the E. coli strains revealed in BOXA1R-based rep-PCR technique.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Microbiology, University of Agriculture in Cracow, Mickiewicza Ave 24/28, 30-059 Cracow, Poland.

ABSTRACT

Bacterial Escherichia coli isolates were derived from waters of the Nowohucki Reservoir (Cracow, Poland) in summer and winter seasons. In total, 94 strains, identified as E. coli, were isolated from five sampling sites in the area of the reservoir. Based on the disk-diffusion tests, it was found that the tested isolates were predominantly resistant to ticarcillin and ampicillin. Numerous multi-drug resistant strains were detected, which however did not exhibit the ESBL phenotype. However, PCR approach allowed to detect ESBL-mechanism genes (CTX-M3, OXA, SHV, and TEM) in as much as 38 % of E. coli isolates. These results were coupled with significant molecular diversity of the E. coli strains revealed in BOXA1R-based rep-PCR technique.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus