Limits...
Conventional and modified hydrodistillation method for the extraction of glucosinolate hydrolytic products: a comparative account.

Arora R, Singh B, Vig AP, Arora S - Springerplus (2016)

Bottom Line: Eruca sativa is extensively used as raw and its oil is also used for cooking due to its exceptional flavour.The volatile nature of the hydrolytic products of glucosinolates makes the extraction difficult.The yield and composition of hydrolytic products in the extract with the modified method was increased along with an increase in the amount of major hydrolytic products as seen by GC-MS.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Botanical and Environmental Sciences, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, Punjab 143005 India.

ABSTRACT
Eruca sativa is extensively used as raw and its oil is also used for cooking due to its exceptional flavour. The volatile nature of the hydrolytic products of glucosinolates makes the extraction difficult. The hydrodistillation method used previously yield very less amount of the extract as well as the absence of stirring in the round bottom flask causes burning of both the crushed seeds and the flask. To overcome these drawbacks, a method has been developed using magnetic stirrer and hot plate. The yield and composition of hydrolytic products in the extract with the modified method was increased along with an increase in the amount of major hydrolytic products as seen by GC-MS. This method thus has immense potential in pharmaceutical industries, due to the ease of extraction and isolation.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

The GC–MS analysis of the extract, where a conventional method and b modified method
© Copyright Policy - OpenAccess
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4835399&req=5

Fig2: The GC–MS analysis of the extract, where a conventional method and b modified method

Mentions: The conventional hydrodistillation method gave a yield of 0.825 % with the composition of 4-methylthiobutyl isothiocyanate (erucin) (76.31 %) and butyl isothiocyanate (11.87 %) (Fig. 2a). Erucin was isolated from the extract, since it is the major GHP of E. sativa (Arora et al. 2014b). The yield obtained was comparatively less with only two hydrolytic products in it. Some compounds other than glucosinolate hydrolytic products were also obtained during the extraction as detected in the extract, which were butylated hydroxytoluene (9.22 %) and dioctyl adipate (2.60 %) (Fig. 2a). The composition of hydrolytic products is only two and in addition the other undesirable compounds (total 11.82 % of extract) present may act in an antagonistic or synergistic way to affect the activity of the extract. The Butylated hydroxytoluene is often used as a food additive and has antioxidative properties (Aourahoun et al. 2014). On the other hand, dioctyl adipate is a plasticizer and is toxic at certain levels (Milkov et al. 1973). These together may hinder the actual activity of the extract and may also cause slight toxicity.Fig. 2


Conventional and modified hydrodistillation method for the extraction of glucosinolate hydrolytic products: a comparative account.

Arora R, Singh B, Vig AP, Arora S - Springerplus (2016)

The GC–MS analysis of the extract, where a conventional method and b modified method
© Copyright Policy - OpenAccess
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4835399&req=5

Fig2: The GC–MS analysis of the extract, where a conventional method and b modified method
Mentions: The conventional hydrodistillation method gave a yield of 0.825 % with the composition of 4-methylthiobutyl isothiocyanate (erucin) (76.31 %) and butyl isothiocyanate (11.87 %) (Fig. 2a). Erucin was isolated from the extract, since it is the major GHP of E. sativa (Arora et al. 2014b). The yield obtained was comparatively less with only two hydrolytic products in it. Some compounds other than glucosinolate hydrolytic products were also obtained during the extraction as detected in the extract, which were butylated hydroxytoluene (9.22 %) and dioctyl adipate (2.60 %) (Fig. 2a). The composition of hydrolytic products is only two and in addition the other undesirable compounds (total 11.82 % of extract) present may act in an antagonistic or synergistic way to affect the activity of the extract. The Butylated hydroxytoluene is often used as a food additive and has antioxidative properties (Aourahoun et al. 2014). On the other hand, dioctyl adipate is a plasticizer and is toxic at certain levels (Milkov et al. 1973). These together may hinder the actual activity of the extract and may also cause slight toxicity.Fig. 2

Bottom Line: Eruca sativa is extensively used as raw and its oil is also used for cooking due to its exceptional flavour.The volatile nature of the hydrolytic products of glucosinolates makes the extraction difficult.The yield and composition of hydrolytic products in the extract with the modified method was increased along with an increase in the amount of major hydrolytic products as seen by GC-MS.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Botanical and Environmental Sciences, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, Punjab 143005 India.

ABSTRACT
Eruca sativa is extensively used as raw and its oil is also used for cooking due to its exceptional flavour. The volatile nature of the hydrolytic products of glucosinolates makes the extraction difficult. The hydrodistillation method used previously yield very less amount of the extract as well as the absence of stirring in the round bottom flask causes burning of both the crushed seeds and the flask. To overcome these drawbacks, a method has been developed using magnetic stirrer and hot plate. The yield and composition of hydrolytic products in the extract with the modified method was increased along with an increase in the amount of major hydrolytic products as seen by GC-MS. This method thus has immense potential in pharmaceutical industries, due to the ease of extraction and isolation.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus