Limits...
Punctuation, Prosody, and Discourse: Afterthought Vs. Right Dislocation.

Kalbertodt J, Primus B, Schumacher PB - Front Psychol (2015)

Bottom Line: Results show an effect of both punctuation and discourse context (mediated by syntax) on phrasing and accentuation.Interestingly, for pitch range reduction no difference between RDs and ATs could be observed.Our results corroborate a language architecture model in which punctuation, prosody, syntax, and discourse-semantics are independent but interacting domains with correspondence constraints between them.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: IfL Phonetik, University of Cologne Cologne, Germany ; Department of German Language and Literature I, University of Cologne Cologne, Germany.

ABSTRACT
In a reading production experiment we investigate the impact of punctuation and discourse structure on the prosodic differentiation of right dislocation (RD) and afterthought (AT). Both discourse structure and punctuation are likely to affect the prosodic marking of these right-peripheral constructions, as certain prosodic markings are appropriate only in certain discourse structures, and punctuation is said to correlate with prosodic phrasing. With RD and AT clearly differing in discourse function (comment-topic structuring vs. disambiguation) and punctuation (comma vs. full stop), critical items in this study were manipulated with regard to the (mis-)match of these parameters. Since RD and AT are said to prosodically differ in pitch range, phrasing, and accentuation patterns, we measured the reduction of pitch range, boundary strength and prominence level. Results show an effect of both punctuation and discourse context (mediated by syntax) on phrasing and accentuation. Interestingly, for pitch range reduction no difference between RDs and ATs could be observed. Our results corroborate a language architecture model in which punctuation, prosody, syntax, and discourse-semantics are independent but interacting domains with correspondence constraints between them. Our findings suggest there are tight correspondence constraints between (i) punctuation (full stop and comma in particular) and syntax, (ii) prosody and syntax as well as (iii) prosody and discourse-semantics.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

Distribution of boundary types preceding the second phrase in filler items for both punctuation conditions.
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4664648&req=5

Figure 5: Distribution of boundary types preceding the second phrase in filler items for both punctuation conditions.

Mentions: The clear majority of our data (99.2%) was produced with IP-boundaries between the coordinated clauses, while the rest (0.8%) was produced with an ip-boundary. As shown in Figure 5, realizations of filler items only slightly differed with respect to the distribution of boundary types. The figure suggests a trend for fillers marked with a full stop to be more likely to be produced with an IP-boundary than fillers marked with a comma. We consider this merely a trend because the loglinear analysis of the data is complicated by the fact that we do not observe any ip-boundary in the full stop condition, which leads to an infinite odds ratio. Employing the ad-hoc analysis suggested by Agresti (1996), often referred to as the delta option, did not reliably improve the interpretability of the odds ratio.


Punctuation, Prosody, and Discourse: Afterthought Vs. Right Dislocation.

Kalbertodt J, Primus B, Schumacher PB - Front Psychol (2015)

Distribution of boundary types preceding the second phrase in filler items for both punctuation conditions.
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4664648&req=5

Figure 5: Distribution of boundary types preceding the second phrase in filler items for both punctuation conditions.
Mentions: The clear majority of our data (99.2%) was produced with IP-boundaries between the coordinated clauses, while the rest (0.8%) was produced with an ip-boundary. As shown in Figure 5, realizations of filler items only slightly differed with respect to the distribution of boundary types. The figure suggests a trend for fillers marked with a full stop to be more likely to be produced with an IP-boundary than fillers marked with a comma. We consider this merely a trend because the loglinear analysis of the data is complicated by the fact that we do not observe any ip-boundary in the full stop condition, which leads to an infinite odds ratio. Employing the ad-hoc analysis suggested by Agresti (1996), often referred to as the delta option, did not reliably improve the interpretability of the odds ratio.

Bottom Line: Results show an effect of both punctuation and discourse context (mediated by syntax) on phrasing and accentuation.Interestingly, for pitch range reduction no difference between RDs and ATs could be observed.Our results corroborate a language architecture model in which punctuation, prosody, syntax, and discourse-semantics are independent but interacting domains with correspondence constraints between them.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: IfL Phonetik, University of Cologne Cologne, Germany ; Department of German Language and Literature I, University of Cologne Cologne, Germany.

ABSTRACT
In a reading production experiment we investigate the impact of punctuation and discourse structure on the prosodic differentiation of right dislocation (RD) and afterthought (AT). Both discourse structure and punctuation are likely to affect the prosodic marking of these right-peripheral constructions, as certain prosodic markings are appropriate only in certain discourse structures, and punctuation is said to correlate with prosodic phrasing. With RD and AT clearly differing in discourse function (comment-topic structuring vs. disambiguation) and punctuation (comma vs. full stop), critical items in this study were manipulated with regard to the (mis-)match of these parameters. Since RD and AT are said to prosodically differ in pitch range, phrasing, and accentuation patterns, we measured the reduction of pitch range, boundary strength and prominence level. Results show an effect of both punctuation and discourse context (mediated by syntax) on phrasing and accentuation. Interestingly, for pitch range reduction no difference between RDs and ATs could be observed. Our results corroborate a language architecture model in which punctuation, prosody, syntax, and discourse-semantics are independent but interacting domains with correspondence constraints between them. Our findings suggest there are tight correspondence constraints between (i) punctuation (full stop and comma in particular) and syntax, (ii) prosody and syntax as well as (iii) prosody and discourse-semantics.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus