Limits...
IL-10 Gene Polymorphisms Are Associated with Post-Bronchiolitis Lung Function Abnormalities at Six Years of Age.

Lauhkonen E, Koponen P, Teräsjärvi J, Gröndahl-Yli-Hannuksela K, Vuononvirta J, Nuolivirta K, Toikka JO, Helminen M, He Q, Korppi M - PLoS ONE (2015)

Bottom Line: IL10 rs1800896, rs1800871 and rs1800872 combined genotype AA+CT+CA and carriage of haplotype ATA, respectively, were associated with higher resistance and lower reactance in baseline IOS in adjusted analyses.At IL10 rs1800890, the A/A-genotype and carriers of A-allele were associated with lower reactance in baseline IOS.There were no significant associations between the studied SNPs and airway hyper-reactivity to exercise.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Tampere Center for Child Health Research, Tampere University and University Hospital, Tampere, Finland.

ABSTRACT

Aim: Interleukin-10 (IL-10) has been associated with wheezing and asthma in children and the genetic variation of the IL-10 cytokine production may be linked to post-bronchiolitis lung function. We used impulse oscillometry (IOS) to evaluate the associations of IL10 polymorphisms with lung function at a median age of 6.3 years in children hospitalised for bronchiolitis before six months of age.

Methods: We performed baseline and post-exercise IOS on 103 former bronchiolitis patients. Data on single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP) of IL10 rs1800896 (-1082G/A), rs1800871 (-819C/T), rs1800872 (-592C/A) were available for 99 children and of IL10 rs1800890 (-3575T/A) for 98 children.

Results: IL10 rs1800896, rs1800871 and rs1800872 combined genotype AA+CT+CA and carriage of haplotype ATA, respectively, were associated with higher resistance and lower reactance in baseline IOS in adjusted analyses. At IL10 rs1800890, the A/A-genotype and carriers of A-allele were associated with lower reactance in baseline IOS. There were no significant associations between the studied SNPs and airway hyper-reactivity to exercise.

Conclusion: Low-IL-10-producing polymorphisms in the IL-10 encoding gene were associated with obstructive lung function parameters, suggesting an important role for IL-10 in development of lung function deficit in early bronchiolitis patients.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

R2 -values for the studied IL-10 polymorphisms in Finnish population based data.The formation of ACC(A)/ATA(A) genotype from the parental DNA strands described as an example. Colour = R2-correlation, all pairs D´ = 1. Modified from [28].
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4608806&req=5

pone.0140799.g001: R2 -values for the studied IL-10 polymorphisms in Finnish population based data.The formation of ACC(A)/ATA(A) genotype from the parental DNA strands described as an example. Colour = R2-correlation, all pairs D´ = 1. Modified from [28].

Mentions: The measured SNPs were tested to be in HWE (p>0.05) and haplotype frequencies of rs1800896, rs1800871 and rs1800872 were calculated with Haploview 4.2. [24] We compared the SNP minor allele frequencies to population-based public data. [25] The IL10 rs1800896, rs1800871 and rs1800872 fall in distinct haplotypes in the Caucasian population. [9,26] Individual haplotypes of rs1800896, rs1800871 and rs1800872 were counted from unphased genotype data using the Clark´s algorithm [27] where all homozygote and single-site heterozygotes were identified and haplotypes resolved by direct counting. The SNPs rs1800871 and rs1800872 were co-segregating. This way 87% of the haplotypes were unambiguous, and the rest 13% could be resolved using the haplotype frequencies. All the studied four SNPs are highly linked, (Fig 1) but we were not able to resolve all four allele haplotypes, thus the rs1800890 was left out of the haplotype analyses.


IL-10 Gene Polymorphisms Are Associated with Post-Bronchiolitis Lung Function Abnormalities at Six Years of Age.

Lauhkonen E, Koponen P, Teräsjärvi J, Gröndahl-Yli-Hannuksela K, Vuononvirta J, Nuolivirta K, Toikka JO, Helminen M, He Q, Korppi M - PLoS ONE (2015)

R2 -values for the studied IL-10 polymorphisms in Finnish population based data.The formation of ACC(A)/ATA(A) genotype from the parental DNA strands described as an example. Colour = R2-correlation, all pairs D´ = 1. Modified from [28].
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4608806&req=5

pone.0140799.g001: R2 -values for the studied IL-10 polymorphisms in Finnish population based data.The formation of ACC(A)/ATA(A) genotype from the parental DNA strands described as an example. Colour = R2-correlation, all pairs D´ = 1. Modified from [28].
Mentions: The measured SNPs were tested to be in HWE (p>0.05) and haplotype frequencies of rs1800896, rs1800871 and rs1800872 were calculated with Haploview 4.2. [24] We compared the SNP minor allele frequencies to population-based public data. [25] The IL10 rs1800896, rs1800871 and rs1800872 fall in distinct haplotypes in the Caucasian population. [9,26] Individual haplotypes of rs1800896, rs1800871 and rs1800872 were counted from unphased genotype data using the Clark´s algorithm [27] where all homozygote and single-site heterozygotes were identified and haplotypes resolved by direct counting. The SNPs rs1800871 and rs1800872 were co-segregating. This way 87% of the haplotypes were unambiguous, and the rest 13% could be resolved using the haplotype frequencies. All the studied four SNPs are highly linked, (Fig 1) but we were not able to resolve all four allele haplotypes, thus the rs1800890 was left out of the haplotype analyses.

Bottom Line: IL10 rs1800896, rs1800871 and rs1800872 combined genotype AA+CT+CA and carriage of haplotype ATA, respectively, were associated with higher resistance and lower reactance in baseline IOS in adjusted analyses.At IL10 rs1800890, the A/A-genotype and carriers of A-allele were associated with lower reactance in baseline IOS.There were no significant associations between the studied SNPs and airway hyper-reactivity to exercise.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Tampere Center for Child Health Research, Tampere University and University Hospital, Tampere, Finland.

ABSTRACT

Aim: Interleukin-10 (IL-10) has been associated with wheezing and asthma in children and the genetic variation of the IL-10 cytokine production may be linked to post-bronchiolitis lung function. We used impulse oscillometry (IOS) to evaluate the associations of IL10 polymorphisms with lung function at a median age of 6.3 years in children hospitalised for bronchiolitis before six months of age.

Methods: We performed baseline and post-exercise IOS on 103 former bronchiolitis patients. Data on single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP) of IL10 rs1800896 (-1082G/A), rs1800871 (-819C/T), rs1800872 (-592C/A) were available for 99 children and of IL10 rs1800890 (-3575T/A) for 98 children.

Results: IL10 rs1800896, rs1800871 and rs1800872 combined genotype AA+CT+CA and carriage of haplotype ATA, respectively, were associated with higher resistance and lower reactance in baseline IOS in adjusted analyses. At IL10 rs1800890, the A/A-genotype and carriers of A-allele were associated with lower reactance in baseline IOS. There were no significant associations between the studied SNPs and airway hyper-reactivity to exercise.

Conclusion: Low-IL-10-producing polymorphisms in the IL-10 encoding gene were associated with obstructive lung function parameters, suggesting an important role for IL-10 in development of lung function deficit in early bronchiolitis patients.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus