Limits...
Factors Affecting Treatment Outcome of Graft Infection Following Penetrating Keratoplasty.

Sung MS, Choi W, You IC, Yoon KC - Korean J Ophthalmol (2015)

Bottom Line: Demographic and clinical characteristics, as well as the results of the microbiologic investigation, were analyzed and compared.A subsequent binary logistic regression analysis was performed to identify the prognostic factors affecting treatment outcome.Multivariate analysis identified pre-existing graft failure (p = 0.019), interval longer than 72 hours between donor death and PKP (p = 0.010), and fungal infection (p = 0.026) as significant risk factors for treatment failure.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Ophthalmology and Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Chonnam National University Hospital, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju, Korea.

ABSTRACT

Purpose: To evaluate the factors affecting treatment outcome of graft infection following penetrating keratoplasty (PKP).

Methods: In this retrospective study, 28 patients who underwent PKP between January 2005 and January 2013 and who were diagnosed with graft infection were classified into a treatment success group or a treatment failure group. Demographic and clinical characteristics, as well as the results of the microbiologic investigation, were analyzed and compared. A subsequent binary logistic regression analysis was performed to identify the prognostic factors affecting treatment outcome.

Results: Graft infection occurred at a mean of 38.29 ± 36.16 months (range, 1 to 96 months) after PKP. Seventeen patients developed bacterial keratitis, and 11 patients developed fungal keratitis. Overall, of the 28 patients, nine (32.1%) were classified in the treatment failure group. Multivariate analysis identified pre-existing graft failure (p = 0.019), interval longer than 72 hours between donor death and PKP (p = 0.010), and fungal infection (p = 0.026) as significant risk factors for treatment failure.

Conclusions: Pre-existing graft failure, extended interval between donor death and PKP, and fungal infection were important risk factors for treatment failure of graft infection following PKP.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

Distribution of intervals between penetrating keratoplasty (PKP) and graft infection.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4595255&req=5

Figure 1: Distribution of intervals between penetrating keratoplasty (PKP) and graft infection.

Mentions: The incidence of graft infection was 10.5% (34 of 323 eyes). Among these 34 eyes, five showed smear- and culture-negative keratitis and one case was lost to follow-up. Thus, 28 eyes of 28 patients were included in the analysis. Infection occurred at a mean of 38.29 ± 36.16 months (range, 1 to 96 months) after PKP. Of the 28 patients, nine (32.1%) developed graft infection within one year of PKP; among these nine patients, seven developed an infection within six months of PKP. The remaining 19 (67.9 %) patients developed graft infection one year or more after PKP. The distribution of duration between PKP and graft infection is shown in Fig. 1.


Factors Affecting Treatment Outcome of Graft Infection Following Penetrating Keratoplasty.

Sung MS, Choi W, You IC, Yoon KC - Korean J Ophthalmol (2015)

Distribution of intervals between penetrating keratoplasty (PKP) and graft infection.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4595255&req=5

Figure 1: Distribution of intervals between penetrating keratoplasty (PKP) and graft infection.
Mentions: The incidence of graft infection was 10.5% (34 of 323 eyes). Among these 34 eyes, five showed smear- and culture-negative keratitis and one case was lost to follow-up. Thus, 28 eyes of 28 patients were included in the analysis. Infection occurred at a mean of 38.29 ± 36.16 months (range, 1 to 96 months) after PKP. Of the 28 patients, nine (32.1%) developed graft infection within one year of PKP; among these nine patients, seven developed an infection within six months of PKP. The remaining 19 (67.9 %) patients developed graft infection one year or more after PKP. The distribution of duration between PKP and graft infection is shown in Fig. 1.

Bottom Line: Demographic and clinical characteristics, as well as the results of the microbiologic investigation, were analyzed and compared.A subsequent binary logistic regression analysis was performed to identify the prognostic factors affecting treatment outcome.Multivariate analysis identified pre-existing graft failure (p = 0.019), interval longer than 72 hours between donor death and PKP (p = 0.010), and fungal infection (p = 0.026) as significant risk factors for treatment failure.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Ophthalmology and Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Chonnam National University Hospital, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju, Korea.

ABSTRACT

Purpose: To evaluate the factors affecting treatment outcome of graft infection following penetrating keratoplasty (PKP).

Methods: In this retrospective study, 28 patients who underwent PKP between January 2005 and January 2013 and who were diagnosed with graft infection were classified into a treatment success group or a treatment failure group. Demographic and clinical characteristics, as well as the results of the microbiologic investigation, were analyzed and compared. A subsequent binary logistic regression analysis was performed to identify the prognostic factors affecting treatment outcome.

Results: Graft infection occurred at a mean of 38.29 ± 36.16 months (range, 1 to 96 months) after PKP. Seventeen patients developed bacterial keratitis, and 11 patients developed fungal keratitis. Overall, of the 28 patients, nine (32.1%) were classified in the treatment failure group. Multivariate analysis identified pre-existing graft failure (p = 0.019), interval longer than 72 hours between donor death and PKP (p = 0.010), and fungal infection (p = 0.026) as significant risk factors for treatment failure.

Conclusions: Pre-existing graft failure, extended interval between donor death and PKP, and fungal infection were important risk factors for treatment failure of graft infection following PKP.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus