Limits...
S100β Levels in CSF of Nonambulatory Dogs with Intervertebral Disk Disease Treated with Electroacupuncture.

Murata Hayashi A, Fonseca Pinto AC, Cortopassi SR, Marvulle V, Ruivo Maximino J, Chadi G, Matera JM - J Vet Med (2013)

Bottom Line: M1-S100β levels were similar between subgroups A and B.However, M2-S100β levels were significantly higher in subgroup B than in subgroup A.S100β may be associated with neuroplasticity following spinal cord injuries with intervertebral disk extrusion.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Surgery, School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, The University of São Paulo, 05508-270 São Paulo, SP, Brazil.

ABSTRACT
The aim of the study was to investigate S100β levels in the cerebrospinal fluid of nonambulatory dogs with intervertebral disk disease treated with electroacupuncture: 10 dogs with thoracolumbar disk extrusion graded 3 to 5 (EA group) and 7 dogs without neurologic dysfunction (control group). All dogs regained ambulation. S100β was detected by Western blot analysis where EA group dogs were evaluated at two time points (M1 = before EA and M2 = when the dogs return ambulation) and at one time point from control group. In EA group dogs M1-S100β levels were significantly higher than in control group. EA group dogs were divided into subgroups A (n = 7-early motor recovery; 6.7 ± 7.8 days) and B (n = 3-late motor recovery; 76 ± 17.0 days). M1-S100β levels were similar between subgroups A and B. However, M2-S100β levels were significantly higher in subgroup B than in subgroup A. An elevated S100β levels were observed in dogs with late motor recovery. S100β may be associated with neuroplasticity following spinal cord injuries with intervertebral disk extrusion. Further studies with larger numbers of subjects and control group with affected dogs are necessary to investigate the relationship between neurotrophic factors and electroacupuncture stimulation.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

Transverse computed tomography images following myelography and representative extradural compression scores for comparisons. Dogs with extradural compression scores: (a) score 1 at T11-T12, (b) score 2 at T11-T12, and (c) score 3 at L1.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection


getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4590852&req=5

fig2: Transverse computed tomography images following myelography and representative extradural compression scores for comparisons. Dogs with extradural compression scores: (a) score 1 at T11-T12, (b) score 2 at T11-T12, and (c) score 3 at L1.

Mentions: Duration of clinical signs prior to treatment was 30.8 ± 14.3 days. Neurological dysfunction was graded 3 (2 dogs), 4 (6 dogs), and 5 (2 dogs). Extradural compression scores based on CT-myelography (Figure 2) were 1 (n = 1), 2 (n = 6), and 3 (n = 3). Scores of number of lesions were 1 (n = 2), 2 (n = 4), 3 (n = 2), and 4 (n = 2). Length of extruded disk material (mean ± SD) was 7.2 ± 2.6 mm. The incidence of disk extrusion was 30% at T11-12, 30% at T12-13, 10% at T13-L1, and 30% at L1-2 with extrusion affecting either the left or the right side (50% each). Multiple lesions were found in 80% of the dogs (8 out of 10) with extradural extrusions found at L3-4 (2) and L4-5 (1). Mild extradural compression was observed at T11-12 (4), T12-13 (3), T13-L1 (2), and C2-3 (1).


S100β Levels in CSF of Nonambulatory Dogs with Intervertebral Disk Disease Treated with Electroacupuncture.

Murata Hayashi A, Fonseca Pinto AC, Cortopassi SR, Marvulle V, Ruivo Maximino J, Chadi G, Matera JM - J Vet Med (2013)

Transverse computed tomography images following myelography and representative extradural compression scores for comparisons. Dogs with extradural compression scores: (a) score 1 at T11-T12, (b) score 2 at T11-T12, and (c) score 3 at L1.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4590852&req=5

fig2: Transverse computed tomography images following myelography and representative extradural compression scores for comparisons. Dogs with extradural compression scores: (a) score 1 at T11-T12, (b) score 2 at T11-T12, and (c) score 3 at L1.
Mentions: Duration of clinical signs prior to treatment was 30.8 ± 14.3 days. Neurological dysfunction was graded 3 (2 dogs), 4 (6 dogs), and 5 (2 dogs). Extradural compression scores based on CT-myelography (Figure 2) were 1 (n = 1), 2 (n = 6), and 3 (n = 3). Scores of number of lesions were 1 (n = 2), 2 (n = 4), 3 (n = 2), and 4 (n = 2). Length of extruded disk material (mean ± SD) was 7.2 ± 2.6 mm. The incidence of disk extrusion was 30% at T11-12, 30% at T12-13, 10% at T13-L1, and 30% at L1-2 with extrusion affecting either the left or the right side (50% each). Multiple lesions were found in 80% of the dogs (8 out of 10) with extradural extrusions found at L3-4 (2) and L4-5 (1). Mild extradural compression was observed at T11-12 (4), T12-13 (3), T13-L1 (2), and C2-3 (1).

Bottom Line: M1-S100β levels were similar between subgroups A and B.However, M2-S100β levels were significantly higher in subgroup B than in subgroup A.S100β may be associated with neuroplasticity following spinal cord injuries with intervertebral disk extrusion.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Surgery, School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, The University of São Paulo, 05508-270 São Paulo, SP, Brazil.

ABSTRACT
The aim of the study was to investigate S100β levels in the cerebrospinal fluid of nonambulatory dogs with intervertebral disk disease treated with electroacupuncture: 10 dogs with thoracolumbar disk extrusion graded 3 to 5 (EA group) and 7 dogs without neurologic dysfunction (control group). All dogs regained ambulation. S100β was detected by Western blot analysis where EA group dogs were evaluated at two time points (M1 = before EA and M2 = when the dogs return ambulation) and at one time point from control group. In EA group dogs M1-S100β levels were significantly higher than in control group. EA group dogs were divided into subgroups A (n = 7-early motor recovery; 6.7 ± 7.8 days) and B (n = 3-late motor recovery; 76 ± 17.0 days). M1-S100β levels were similar between subgroups A and B. However, M2-S100β levels were significantly higher in subgroup B than in subgroup A. An elevated S100β levels were observed in dogs with late motor recovery. S100β may be associated with neuroplasticity following spinal cord injuries with intervertebral disk extrusion. Further studies with larger numbers of subjects and control group with affected dogs are necessary to investigate the relationship between neurotrophic factors and electroacupuncture stimulation.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus