Limits...
Onconephrology abstracts and publication trends: time to collaborate.

Thakkar J, Wanchoo R, Jhaveri KD - Clin Kidney J (2015)

Bottom Line: The more widespread use of the keyword 'onconephrology' in all such manuscripts may facilitate the search for onconephrology research papers.To advance the field, CKJ has now created an onconephrology subheading for manuscript categorization.We also propose that conference organizers of ASN and other kidney-related society meeting such as International Society of Nephrology, National Kidney Foundation and European Dialysis and Transplantation Association have a separate onconephrology abstract category.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Nephrology , Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine , Great Neck, NY , USA.

ABSTRACT
Onconephrology is an emerging subspecialty of nephrology. The American Society of Nephrology(ASN) created a forum dedicated to the field of onconephrology in 2011 to improve collaborative care for cancer patients with kidney disease. In this article, we review the ASN Kidney Week abstracts that were related to onconephrology. There has been an increase in the number of onconephrology-related abstracts at ASN over last 3 years. But only one-fifth of abstracts that were onconephrology related in ASN were published in peer review journals. Clinical Kidney Journal (CKJ) has seen an increase in onconephrology publications in the last 3 years. Most were case reports or review articles. The more widespread use of the keyword 'onconephrology' in all such manuscripts may facilitate the search for onconephrology research papers. To advance the field, CKJ has now created an onconephrology subheading for manuscript categorization. We also propose that conference organizers of ASN and other kidney-related society meeting such as International Society of Nephrology, National Kidney Foundation and European Dialysis and Transplantation Association have a separate onconephrology abstract category. Randomized controlled trials in a subspecialty like onconephrology can only be possible when there is collaboration amongst nephrologists and cancer physicians from cancer centers around the world that interact and share research ideas at international meetings.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

Breakdown of onconephrology topics in CKJ.
© Copyright Policy - creative-commons
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4581395&req=5

SFV085F2: Breakdown of onconephrology topics in CKJ.

Mentions: Clinical Kidney Journal (CKJ) has published nephrology-related clinical reports and research in the last few years. To understand the type of onconephrology research being published in the journal, we reviewed the articles published on this topic from 2012 to 2014. Search terms used to identify articles included cancer, myeloma, chemotherapy, tumor lysis, paraneoplastic syndrome and hypercalcemia. A total of 51 articles were related to cancer and the kidney. Of the 51 articles, the vast majority (90%) were case reports or images related to case reports. The remaining 10% were review articles on topics that ranged from chemotherapy toxicity to myeloma-related kidney disease. Figure 2 breaks down the 51 papers into various categories of onconephrology from CKJ. The majority of the articles were paraproteinemia related. A PubMed literature search for ‘Clinical Kidney Journal AND onconephrology’ retrieved no results.Fig. 2.


Onconephrology abstracts and publication trends: time to collaborate.

Thakkar J, Wanchoo R, Jhaveri KD - Clin Kidney J (2015)

Breakdown of onconephrology topics in CKJ.
© Copyright Policy - creative-commons
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4581395&req=5

SFV085F2: Breakdown of onconephrology topics in CKJ.
Mentions: Clinical Kidney Journal (CKJ) has published nephrology-related clinical reports and research in the last few years. To understand the type of onconephrology research being published in the journal, we reviewed the articles published on this topic from 2012 to 2014. Search terms used to identify articles included cancer, myeloma, chemotherapy, tumor lysis, paraneoplastic syndrome and hypercalcemia. A total of 51 articles were related to cancer and the kidney. Of the 51 articles, the vast majority (90%) were case reports or images related to case reports. The remaining 10% were review articles on topics that ranged from chemotherapy toxicity to myeloma-related kidney disease. Figure 2 breaks down the 51 papers into various categories of onconephrology from CKJ. The majority of the articles were paraproteinemia related. A PubMed literature search for ‘Clinical Kidney Journal AND onconephrology’ retrieved no results.Fig. 2.

Bottom Line: The more widespread use of the keyword 'onconephrology' in all such manuscripts may facilitate the search for onconephrology research papers.To advance the field, CKJ has now created an onconephrology subheading for manuscript categorization.We also propose that conference organizers of ASN and other kidney-related society meeting such as International Society of Nephrology, National Kidney Foundation and European Dialysis and Transplantation Association have a separate onconephrology abstract category.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Nephrology , Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine , Great Neck, NY , USA.

ABSTRACT
Onconephrology is an emerging subspecialty of nephrology. The American Society of Nephrology(ASN) created a forum dedicated to the field of onconephrology in 2011 to improve collaborative care for cancer patients with kidney disease. In this article, we review the ASN Kidney Week abstracts that were related to onconephrology. There has been an increase in the number of onconephrology-related abstracts at ASN over last 3 years. But only one-fifth of abstracts that were onconephrology related in ASN were published in peer review journals. Clinical Kidney Journal (CKJ) has seen an increase in onconephrology publications in the last 3 years. Most were case reports or review articles. The more widespread use of the keyword 'onconephrology' in all such manuscripts may facilitate the search for onconephrology research papers. To advance the field, CKJ has now created an onconephrology subheading for manuscript categorization. We also propose that conference organizers of ASN and other kidney-related society meeting such as International Society of Nephrology, National Kidney Foundation and European Dialysis and Transplantation Association have a separate onconephrology abstract category. Randomized controlled trials in a subspecialty like onconephrology can only be possible when there is collaboration amongst nephrologists and cancer physicians from cancer centers around the world that interact and share research ideas at international meetings.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus