Limits...
A study of chlorinated solvent contamination of the aquifers of an industrial area in central Italy: a possibility of bioremediation.

Matteucci F, Ercole C, Del Gallo M - Front Microbiol (2015)

Bottom Line: In Italy, there are many situations of serious contamination of groundwater that might compromise their use in industry, agriculture, private, as the critical case of a Central Italy valley located in the province of Teramo ("Val Vibrata"), characterized by a significant chlorinated solvents contamination.Data from the various monitoring campaigns that have taken place over time were collected, and new samplings were carried out, resulting in a complete database.Among the tested electron donors (i.e., yeast extract, lactate, and butyrate) lactate and butyrate enhanced dechlorination of chlorinated compounds.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Laboratory of Environmental Microbiology, Department of Life, Health and Environmental Sciences, University of L'Aquila L'Aquila, Italy.

ABSTRACT
Perchloroethene, trichloroethene, and other chlorinated solvents are widespread groundwater pollutants. They form dense non-aqueous phase liquids that sink through permeable groundwater aquifers until non-permeable zone is reached. In Italy, there are many situations of serious contamination of groundwater that might compromise their use in industry, agriculture, private, as the critical case of a Central Italy valley located in the province of Teramo ("Val Vibrata"), characterized by a significant chlorinated solvents contamination. Data from the various monitoring campaigns that have taken place over time were collected, and new samplings were carried out, resulting in a complete database. The data matrix was processed with a multivariate statistic analysis (in particular principal component analysis, PCA) and was then imported into geographic information system (GIS), to obtain a model of the contamination. A microcosm anaerobic study was utilized to assess the potential for in situ natural or enhanced bioremediation. Most of the microcosms were positive for dechlorination, particularly those inoculated with a mineral medium. This indicate the presence of an active native dechlorinating population in the subsurface, probably inhibited by co-contaminants in the groundwater, or more likely by the absence or lack of nutritional factors. Among the tested electron donors (i.e., yeast extract, lactate, and butyrate) lactate and butyrate enhanced dechlorination of chlorinated compounds. PCA and GIS studies allowed delimiting the contamination; the microcosm study helped to identify the conditions to promote the bioremediation of the area.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

Biplot graph (loadings ++ scores) simultaneously representing objects (wells) and variable (chlorinated solvents) in the space of two main components. The x-axis shows the first principal component (PC1) that explains 61.13% of the original total variance data. The y-axis shows the second principal component that explains 30.15% of the original total variance data. The two principal components explain 91.28% of the original total variance data.
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4556989&req=5

Figure 3: Biplot graph (loadings ++ scores) simultaneously representing objects (wells) and variable (chlorinated solvents) in the space of two main components. The x-axis shows the first principal component (PC1) that explains 61.13% of the original total variance data. The y-axis shows the second principal component that explains 30.15% of the original total variance data. The two principal components explain 91.28% of the original total variance data.

Mentions: Several statistic tests were performed on the data matrix. The most significant are shown in Figure 3. PCA was performed on data relating to the different sampling campaigns considering as variables the halogenated solvent concentrations. Observing the Figure 3, it is clear that there is a strong correlation between PCE and TCE, which are linked to the same type of contamination, since the latter might also be originated from the degradation of the former. However, both come from similar sources or processes, both correlated to 1,2-dichloroethylene, belonging to the same anaerobic degradation pathway of PCE.


A study of chlorinated solvent contamination of the aquifers of an industrial area in central Italy: a possibility of bioremediation.

Matteucci F, Ercole C, Del Gallo M - Front Microbiol (2015)

Biplot graph (loadings ++ scores) simultaneously representing objects (wells) and variable (chlorinated solvents) in the space of two main components. The x-axis shows the first principal component (PC1) that explains 61.13% of the original total variance data. The y-axis shows the second principal component that explains 30.15% of the original total variance data. The two principal components explain 91.28% of the original total variance data.
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4556989&req=5

Figure 3: Biplot graph (loadings ++ scores) simultaneously representing objects (wells) and variable (chlorinated solvents) in the space of two main components. The x-axis shows the first principal component (PC1) that explains 61.13% of the original total variance data. The y-axis shows the second principal component that explains 30.15% of the original total variance data. The two principal components explain 91.28% of the original total variance data.
Mentions: Several statistic tests were performed on the data matrix. The most significant are shown in Figure 3. PCA was performed on data relating to the different sampling campaigns considering as variables the halogenated solvent concentrations. Observing the Figure 3, it is clear that there is a strong correlation between PCE and TCE, which are linked to the same type of contamination, since the latter might also be originated from the degradation of the former. However, both come from similar sources or processes, both correlated to 1,2-dichloroethylene, belonging to the same anaerobic degradation pathway of PCE.

Bottom Line: In Italy, there are many situations of serious contamination of groundwater that might compromise their use in industry, agriculture, private, as the critical case of a Central Italy valley located in the province of Teramo ("Val Vibrata"), characterized by a significant chlorinated solvents contamination.Data from the various monitoring campaigns that have taken place over time were collected, and new samplings were carried out, resulting in a complete database.Among the tested electron donors (i.e., yeast extract, lactate, and butyrate) lactate and butyrate enhanced dechlorination of chlorinated compounds.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Laboratory of Environmental Microbiology, Department of Life, Health and Environmental Sciences, University of L'Aquila L'Aquila, Italy.

ABSTRACT
Perchloroethene, trichloroethene, and other chlorinated solvents are widespread groundwater pollutants. They form dense non-aqueous phase liquids that sink through permeable groundwater aquifers until non-permeable zone is reached. In Italy, there are many situations of serious contamination of groundwater that might compromise their use in industry, agriculture, private, as the critical case of a Central Italy valley located in the province of Teramo ("Val Vibrata"), characterized by a significant chlorinated solvents contamination. Data from the various monitoring campaigns that have taken place over time were collected, and new samplings were carried out, resulting in a complete database. The data matrix was processed with a multivariate statistic analysis (in particular principal component analysis, PCA) and was then imported into geographic information system (GIS), to obtain a model of the contamination. A microcosm anaerobic study was utilized to assess the potential for in situ natural or enhanced bioremediation. Most of the microcosms were positive for dechlorination, particularly those inoculated with a mineral medium. This indicate the presence of an active native dechlorinating population in the subsurface, probably inhibited by co-contaminants in the groundwater, or more likely by the absence or lack of nutritional factors. Among the tested electron donors (i.e., yeast extract, lactate, and butyrate) lactate and butyrate enhanced dechlorination of chlorinated compounds. PCA and GIS studies allowed delimiting the contamination; the microcosm study helped to identify the conditions to promote the bioremediation of the area.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus