Limits...
Nickel sensitization and dietary nickel are a substantial cause of symptoms provocation in patients with chronic allergic-like dermatitis syndromes.

Antico A, Soana R - Allergy Rhinol (Providence) (2015)

Bottom Line: IgE-mediated pathogenesis and other differential diagnoses excluded, patients were patch tested.A total of 339 (20%) tested nickel-positive.Out of the remaining nickel-sensitized patients, 277 (80%) achieved complete or near complete recovery with low-nickel content diet, and 185 of them (89%) were positive to DBPCNC.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Allergy Unit, Azienda Istituti Ospedalieri 'C. Poma', Mantova, Asola Hospital, Asola MN, Italy.

ABSTRACT
Data in literature seem to show that, in patients with contact allergic dermatitis, dietary nickel might be a cause of systemic dermatitis, but little information exists in literature about the role of nickel sensitization and dietary nickel in patients with allergic-like chronic dermatitis syndromes. The prevalence of nickel sensitization in patients with chronic allergic-like, non-IgE-mediated skin diseases, and the possible impact of dietary nickel on symptom provocation and persistence has been assessed in the present retrospective study on a case series of 1726 patients referred to our allergy unit for chronic allergic-like skin diseases. IgE-mediated pathogenesis and other differential diagnoses excluded, patients were patch tested. Nickel-positive patients underwent an elimination diet and double-blind placebo-controlled nickel challenge (DBPCNC) test. A total of 339 (20%) tested nickel-positive. Fifty-two patients (15%) recovered by avoiding sources of nickel contact and 29 (10%) dropped out. Out of the remaining nickel-sensitized patients, 277 (80%) achieved complete or near complete recovery with low-nickel content diet, and 185 of them (89%) were positive to DBPCNC. We conclude that nickel sensitization and dietary nickel seem to be the chief trigger for provocation and persistence of symptoms in an important part (∼11%) of patients with chronic allergic-like dermatitis syndromes.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

Flowchart of the study and summary of the results.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4388878&req=5

Figure 1: Flowchart of the study and summary of the results.

Mentions: According to the criteria listed in the method section, we screened a population of 1726 adult patients, aged 16–65 years, mean age 36 ± 14 years, 1415 (82%) woman. Study results are summarized in the flowchart shown in Fig. 1.


Nickel sensitization and dietary nickel are a substantial cause of symptoms provocation in patients with chronic allergic-like dermatitis syndromes.

Antico A, Soana R - Allergy Rhinol (Providence) (2015)

Flowchart of the study and summary of the results.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4388878&req=5

Figure 1: Flowchart of the study and summary of the results.
Mentions: According to the criteria listed in the method section, we screened a population of 1726 adult patients, aged 16–65 years, mean age 36 ± 14 years, 1415 (82%) woman. Study results are summarized in the flowchart shown in Fig. 1.

Bottom Line: IgE-mediated pathogenesis and other differential diagnoses excluded, patients were patch tested.A total of 339 (20%) tested nickel-positive.Out of the remaining nickel-sensitized patients, 277 (80%) achieved complete or near complete recovery with low-nickel content diet, and 185 of them (89%) were positive to DBPCNC.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Allergy Unit, Azienda Istituti Ospedalieri 'C. Poma', Mantova, Asola Hospital, Asola MN, Italy.

ABSTRACT
Data in literature seem to show that, in patients with contact allergic dermatitis, dietary nickel might be a cause of systemic dermatitis, but little information exists in literature about the role of nickel sensitization and dietary nickel in patients with allergic-like chronic dermatitis syndromes. The prevalence of nickel sensitization in patients with chronic allergic-like, non-IgE-mediated skin diseases, and the possible impact of dietary nickel on symptom provocation and persistence has been assessed in the present retrospective study on a case series of 1726 patients referred to our allergy unit for chronic allergic-like skin diseases. IgE-mediated pathogenesis and other differential diagnoses excluded, patients were patch tested. Nickel-positive patients underwent an elimination diet and double-blind placebo-controlled nickel challenge (DBPCNC) test. A total of 339 (20%) tested nickel-positive. Fifty-two patients (15%) recovered by avoiding sources of nickel contact and 29 (10%) dropped out. Out of the remaining nickel-sensitized patients, 277 (80%) achieved complete or near complete recovery with low-nickel content diet, and 185 of them (89%) were positive to DBPCNC. We conclude that nickel sensitization and dietary nickel seem to be the chief trigger for provocation and persistence of symptoms in an important part (∼11%) of patients with chronic allergic-like dermatitis syndromes.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus