Limits...
A new strategy for TiO2 whiskers mediated multi-mode cancer treatment.

Xu P, Wang R, Ouyang J, Chen B - Nanoscale Res Lett (2015)

Bottom Line: Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) which functions as chemotherapeutic or adjuvantly chemotherapeutic agents has been drawing a great many eyeballs for its easy obtain and significant antitumor effects accompanied with less toxic and side effects.These results identify TiO2 Ws of good biocompatibility and photocatalytic activity.These results reveal that such modality combinations put forward a promising proposal in cancer therapy.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Hematology, The Affiliated Drum Tower Hospital of Nanjing University Medical School, Nanjing, 210008 People's Republic of China.

ABSTRACT
Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) which functions as chemotherapeutic or adjuvantly chemotherapeutic agents has been drawing a great many eyeballs for its easy obtain and significant antitumor effects accompanied with less toxic and side effects. PDT (photodynamic therapy) utilizes the fact that certain compounds coined as photosensitizers, when exposed to light of a specific wavelength, are capable of generating cytotoxic reactive oxygen species (ROS) such as hydroxyl radical, hydrogen peroxide, and superoxide to kill cancer cells. Combinations of cancer therapeutic modalities are studied to improve the efficacy of treatment. This study aimed to explore a new strategy of coupling of titanium dioxide whiskers (TiO2 Ws) with the anticancer drug gambogic acid (GA) in photodynamic therapy. The nanocomposites were coined as GA-TiO2. The combination of TiO2 Ws with GA induced a remarkable enhancement in antitumor activity estimated by MTT assay, nuclear DAPI staining, and flow cytometry. Furthermore, the possible signaling pathway was explored by reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and Western blot assay. These results identify TiO2 Ws of good biocompatibility and photocatalytic activity. In human leukemia cells (K562 cells), TiO2 Ws could obviously increase the intracellular concentration of GA and enhance its potential antitumor efficiency, suggesting that TiO2 Ws could act as an efficient drug delivery carrier targeting GA to carcinoma cells. Moreover, photodynamic GA-TiO2 nanocomposites could induce an evident reinforcement in antitumor activity with UV illumination. These results reveal that such modality combinations put forward a promising proposal in cancer therapy.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

Effect of GA, TiO2Ws, and nanocomposites between GA- and TiO2-induced apoptosis in K562 cells for 24 h. Notes: the apoptosis analysis of K562 cells in which K562 cells, K562 incubated with 10 μg/mL TiO2 Ws, K562 incubated with 1 μg/mL GA, K562 incubated with the nanocomposites with 1 μg/mL GA conjugated with 10 μg/mL TiO2 Ws, and K562 incubated with GA-TiO2 nanocomposites under UV irradiation.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4385221&req=5

Fig7: Effect of GA, TiO2Ws, and nanocomposites between GA- and TiO2-induced apoptosis in K562 cells for 24 h. Notes: the apoptosis analysis of K562 cells in which K562 cells, K562 incubated with 10 μg/mL TiO2 Ws, K562 incubated with 1 μg/mL GA, K562 incubated with the nanocomposites with 1 μg/mL GA conjugated with 10 μg/mL TiO2 Ws, and K562 incubated with GA-TiO2 nanocomposites under UV irradiation.

Mentions: Then, the flow cytometry was applied to quantitatively investigate the apoptosis of K562 cells. After cells were cultured for 24 h, the total apoptosis rate was 6.6% in the blank experiments which can be seen in Figure 7 and Additional file 1: Figure S1a. When cultured with 1 μg/mL of GA, the early apoptosis and late apoptosis rates respectively increased to 17.6% and 5.3% (Figure 7), and these rates were not significantly different from those in the blank experiments. Combined with TiO2 Ws and UV irradiation, an apoptosis rate of approximately 9.0% for K562 was observed. As shown in Figure 7 and Additional file 1: Figure S1, the early apoptosis rate increased to 11.4% and the late apoptosis rate increased to 18.5%, with a total apoptosis rate increased to 29.9% after the participation of GA-TiO2 nanocomposites in K562 cells. The apoptosis rate of cells further increased to 59.2% with the application of UV irradiation in the above system, which shows a tremendous change compared with that in the control group (P < 0.05).Figure 7


A new strategy for TiO2 whiskers mediated multi-mode cancer treatment.

Xu P, Wang R, Ouyang J, Chen B - Nanoscale Res Lett (2015)

Effect of GA, TiO2Ws, and nanocomposites between GA- and TiO2-induced apoptosis in K562 cells for 24 h. Notes: the apoptosis analysis of K562 cells in which K562 cells, K562 incubated with 10 μg/mL TiO2 Ws, K562 incubated with 1 μg/mL GA, K562 incubated with the nanocomposites with 1 μg/mL GA conjugated with 10 μg/mL TiO2 Ws, and K562 incubated with GA-TiO2 nanocomposites under UV irradiation.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4385221&req=5

Fig7: Effect of GA, TiO2Ws, and nanocomposites between GA- and TiO2-induced apoptosis in K562 cells for 24 h. Notes: the apoptosis analysis of K562 cells in which K562 cells, K562 incubated with 10 μg/mL TiO2 Ws, K562 incubated with 1 μg/mL GA, K562 incubated with the nanocomposites with 1 μg/mL GA conjugated with 10 μg/mL TiO2 Ws, and K562 incubated with GA-TiO2 nanocomposites under UV irradiation.
Mentions: Then, the flow cytometry was applied to quantitatively investigate the apoptosis of K562 cells. After cells were cultured for 24 h, the total apoptosis rate was 6.6% in the blank experiments which can be seen in Figure 7 and Additional file 1: Figure S1a. When cultured with 1 μg/mL of GA, the early apoptosis and late apoptosis rates respectively increased to 17.6% and 5.3% (Figure 7), and these rates were not significantly different from those in the blank experiments. Combined with TiO2 Ws and UV irradiation, an apoptosis rate of approximately 9.0% for K562 was observed. As shown in Figure 7 and Additional file 1: Figure S1, the early apoptosis rate increased to 11.4% and the late apoptosis rate increased to 18.5%, with a total apoptosis rate increased to 29.9% after the participation of GA-TiO2 nanocomposites in K562 cells. The apoptosis rate of cells further increased to 59.2% with the application of UV irradiation in the above system, which shows a tremendous change compared with that in the control group (P < 0.05).Figure 7

Bottom Line: Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) which functions as chemotherapeutic or adjuvantly chemotherapeutic agents has been drawing a great many eyeballs for its easy obtain and significant antitumor effects accompanied with less toxic and side effects.These results identify TiO2 Ws of good biocompatibility and photocatalytic activity.These results reveal that such modality combinations put forward a promising proposal in cancer therapy.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Hematology, The Affiliated Drum Tower Hospital of Nanjing University Medical School, Nanjing, 210008 People's Republic of China.

ABSTRACT
Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) which functions as chemotherapeutic or adjuvantly chemotherapeutic agents has been drawing a great many eyeballs for its easy obtain and significant antitumor effects accompanied with less toxic and side effects. PDT (photodynamic therapy) utilizes the fact that certain compounds coined as photosensitizers, when exposed to light of a specific wavelength, are capable of generating cytotoxic reactive oxygen species (ROS) such as hydroxyl radical, hydrogen peroxide, and superoxide to kill cancer cells. Combinations of cancer therapeutic modalities are studied to improve the efficacy of treatment. This study aimed to explore a new strategy of coupling of titanium dioxide whiskers (TiO2 Ws) with the anticancer drug gambogic acid (GA) in photodynamic therapy. The nanocomposites were coined as GA-TiO2. The combination of TiO2 Ws with GA induced a remarkable enhancement in antitumor activity estimated by MTT assay, nuclear DAPI staining, and flow cytometry. Furthermore, the possible signaling pathway was explored by reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and Western blot assay. These results identify TiO2 Ws of good biocompatibility and photocatalytic activity. In human leukemia cells (K562 cells), TiO2 Ws could obviously increase the intracellular concentration of GA and enhance its potential antitumor efficiency, suggesting that TiO2 Ws could act as an efficient drug delivery carrier targeting GA to carcinoma cells. Moreover, photodynamic GA-TiO2 nanocomposites could induce an evident reinforcement in antitumor activity with UV illumination. These results reveal that such modality combinations put forward a promising proposal in cancer therapy.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus