Limits...
Differences in rates of radiation-induced true and false rib fractures after stereotactic body radiation therapy for Stage I primary lung cancer.

Miura H, Inoue T, Shiomi H, Oh RJ - J. Radiat. Res. (2014)

Bottom Line: Multivariate analysis showed that tumor location was a statistically significant risk factor for the development of Grade 1 RIRFs.The BED3 associated with 10% and 50% probabilities of RIRF were 55 and 210 Gy to the true ribs and 240 and 260 Gy to the false ribs.We conclude that RIRFs develop more frequently in true ribs than in false ribs.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Miyakojima IGRT Clinic, 1-16-22 Miyakojima Hondori, Miyakojima-ku, Osaka, 534-0021, Japan hide-miura@osaka-igrt.or.jp.

Show MeSH

Related in: MedlinePlus

Distribution of analyzed ribs and radiation-induced rib fractures (RIRFs) for each rib. Of the 126 patients, 46 (37%) had 77 RIRFs, of which 71 (92%) developed in the true ribs (ribs 1–7), and the remaining six (8%) developed in the false ribs (ribs 8–12).
© Copyright Policy - creative-commons
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4380054&req=5

RRU107F3: Distribution of analyzed ribs and radiation-induced rib fractures (RIRFs) for each rib. Of the 126 patients, 46 (37%) had 77 RIRFs, of which 71 (92%) developed in the true ribs (ribs 1–7), and the remaining six (8%) developed in the false ribs (ribs 8–12).

Mentions: Of the 126 patients, 46 (37%) had 77 RIRFs. Of the 77 RIRFs, 71 (92%) developed in the true ribs, and the remaining 6 (8%) developed in the false ribs. Based on 282 analyzed ribs, true rib fractures occurred in 31% (71/231) of ribs, and false rib fractures occurred in 12% (6/51) (Fig. 3). The median time from SBRT to RIRF detection was 15 months (range, 3–56 months; Table 2) with a median follow-up of 30 months (range: 12–78 months). Of the 46 patients with rib fractures, 22 had fractured 1 rib, 18 had fractured 2, 5 had fractured 3, and 1 had fractured 4 ribs. In all cases of multiple rib fractures, neighboring ribs were involved. In some patients, the number of RIRFs increased over the follow-up period.Table 2.


Differences in rates of radiation-induced true and false rib fractures after stereotactic body radiation therapy for Stage I primary lung cancer.

Miura H, Inoue T, Shiomi H, Oh RJ - J. Radiat. Res. (2014)

Distribution of analyzed ribs and radiation-induced rib fractures (RIRFs) for each rib. Of the 126 patients, 46 (37%) had 77 RIRFs, of which 71 (92%) developed in the true ribs (ribs 1–7), and the remaining six (8%) developed in the false ribs (ribs 8–12).
© Copyright Policy - creative-commons
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4380054&req=5

RRU107F3: Distribution of analyzed ribs and radiation-induced rib fractures (RIRFs) for each rib. Of the 126 patients, 46 (37%) had 77 RIRFs, of which 71 (92%) developed in the true ribs (ribs 1–7), and the remaining six (8%) developed in the false ribs (ribs 8–12).
Mentions: Of the 126 patients, 46 (37%) had 77 RIRFs. Of the 77 RIRFs, 71 (92%) developed in the true ribs, and the remaining 6 (8%) developed in the false ribs. Based on 282 analyzed ribs, true rib fractures occurred in 31% (71/231) of ribs, and false rib fractures occurred in 12% (6/51) (Fig. 3). The median time from SBRT to RIRF detection was 15 months (range, 3–56 months; Table 2) with a median follow-up of 30 months (range: 12–78 months). Of the 46 patients with rib fractures, 22 had fractured 1 rib, 18 had fractured 2, 5 had fractured 3, and 1 had fractured 4 ribs. In all cases of multiple rib fractures, neighboring ribs were involved. In some patients, the number of RIRFs increased over the follow-up period.Table 2.

Bottom Line: Multivariate analysis showed that tumor location was a statistically significant risk factor for the development of Grade 1 RIRFs.The BED3 associated with 10% and 50% probabilities of RIRF were 55 and 210 Gy to the true ribs and 240 and 260 Gy to the false ribs.We conclude that RIRFs develop more frequently in true ribs than in false ribs.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Miyakojima IGRT Clinic, 1-16-22 Miyakojima Hondori, Miyakojima-ku, Osaka, 534-0021, Japan hide-miura@osaka-igrt.or.jp.

Show MeSH
Related in: MedlinePlus