Limits...
A clinical study of the skin changes in pregnancy in kashmir valley of north India: a hospital based study.

Hassan I, Bashir S, Taing S - Indian J Dermatol (2015 Jan-Feb)

Bottom Line: Pregnancy is associated with multiple skin changes, most of which are physiological in nature, being the direct result of expected modifications of the hormonal, vascular, metabolic or immunologic status in pregnant females.The study population included 272 (42%) primigravidae and 378 (58%) multigravidae.Skin changes were seen in 100% of pregnant females in this study, the major proportion being formed by physiological skin changes of pregnancy though PSDs were also seen in a significant number.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Dermatology, STD, Leprosy, Government Medical College, Srinagar (University of Kashmir), Jammu and Kashmir, India ; Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Government Medical College, Srinagar (University of Kashmir), Jammu and Kashmir, India.

ABSTRACT

Background: Pregnancy is associated with multiple skin changes, most of which are physiological in nature, being the direct result of expected modifications of the hormonal, vascular, metabolic or immunologic status in pregnant females. Pregnancy however is also associated with certain pruritic eruptions, which not only cause distress to the pregnant female, but may influence the fetal outcome as well.

Objective: The objective of this study was to determine the pattern of skin changes associated with pregnancy and to identify the various clinical types of pregnancy specific dermatoses (PSDs).

Materials and methods: The study was a cross sectional study carried out at the out-patient Department of Gynecology and obstetrics of our hospital. A total of 650 pregnant females, irrespective of their parity and gestational age were screened for the presence of any dermatological complaint.

Results: The age of the study population ranged from 17 to 39 years (mean age: 24 years). The study population included 272 (42%) primigravidae and 378 (58%) multigravidae. Physiological skin changes of pregnancy were seen in all patients, out of which linea nigra was the most common change, seen in 520 (80%) cases. Specific dermatoses of pregnancy were seen in 32 (4.9%) cases, which included (in the decreasing order of frequency) prurigo of pregnancy (50% cases), intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy (25% cases), polymorphic eruption of pregnancy (22% cases) and pemphigus gestationis (3% cases).

Conclusion: Skin changes were seen in 100% of pregnant females in this study, the major proportion being formed by physiological skin changes of pregnancy though PSDs were also seen in a significant number.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

Typical urticarial lesions along the striae in polymorphic eruption of pregnancy
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4318058&req=5

Figure 6: Typical urticarial lesions along the striae in polymorphic eruption of pregnancy

Mentions: PEP was observed in 7 (22%) cases, all being primigravidae [Figure 6]. All were single gestation pregnancies. The eruption started in the third trimester in all cases. 6 out of 7 (86%) patients developed the eruption first over the lower abdomen, which was followed by the appearance of similar lesions over the rest of the body. One (14%) patient however developed the eruption first over upper thighs and flanks.


A clinical study of the skin changes in pregnancy in kashmir valley of north India: a hospital based study.

Hassan I, Bashir S, Taing S - Indian J Dermatol (2015 Jan-Feb)

Typical urticarial lesions along the striae in polymorphic eruption of pregnancy
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4318058&req=5

Figure 6: Typical urticarial lesions along the striae in polymorphic eruption of pregnancy
Mentions: PEP was observed in 7 (22%) cases, all being primigravidae [Figure 6]. All were single gestation pregnancies. The eruption started in the third trimester in all cases. 6 out of 7 (86%) patients developed the eruption first over the lower abdomen, which was followed by the appearance of similar lesions over the rest of the body. One (14%) patient however developed the eruption first over upper thighs and flanks.

Bottom Line: Pregnancy is associated with multiple skin changes, most of which are physiological in nature, being the direct result of expected modifications of the hormonal, vascular, metabolic or immunologic status in pregnant females.The study population included 272 (42%) primigravidae and 378 (58%) multigravidae.Skin changes were seen in 100% of pregnant females in this study, the major proportion being formed by physiological skin changes of pregnancy though PSDs were also seen in a significant number.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Dermatology, STD, Leprosy, Government Medical College, Srinagar (University of Kashmir), Jammu and Kashmir, India ; Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Government Medical College, Srinagar (University of Kashmir), Jammu and Kashmir, India.

ABSTRACT

Background: Pregnancy is associated with multiple skin changes, most of which are physiological in nature, being the direct result of expected modifications of the hormonal, vascular, metabolic or immunologic status in pregnant females. Pregnancy however is also associated with certain pruritic eruptions, which not only cause distress to the pregnant female, but may influence the fetal outcome as well.

Objective: The objective of this study was to determine the pattern of skin changes associated with pregnancy and to identify the various clinical types of pregnancy specific dermatoses (PSDs).

Materials and methods: The study was a cross sectional study carried out at the out-patient Department of Gynecology and obstetrics of our hospital. A total of 650 pregnant females, irrespective of their parity and gestational age were screened for the presence of any dermatological complaint.

Results: The age of the study population ranged from 17 to 39 years (mean age: 24 years). The study population included 272 (42%) primigravidae and 378 (58%) multigravidae. Physiological skin changes of pregnancy were seen in all patients, out of which linea nigra was the most common change, seen in 520 (80%) cases. Specific dermatoses of pregnancy were seen in 32 (4.9%) cases, which included (in the decreasing order of frequency) prurigo of pregnancy (50% cases), intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy (25% cases), polymorphic eruption of pregnancy (22% cases) and pemphigus gestationis (3% cases).

Conclusion: Skin changes were seen in 100% of pregnant females in this study, the major proportion being formed by physiological skin changes of pregnancy though PSDs were also seen in a significant number.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus