Limits...
Nasopupillary asymmetry.

Arenas E, Muñoz D, Matheus E, Morales D - ScientificWorldJournal (2014)

Bottom Line: To establish the prevalence of nasopupillary asymmetry (difference in nasopupillary distances) in the population and its relation with the interpupillary distance.The values of nasopupillary asymmetry and the interpupillary distance were obtained.A statistical analysis was made and the correlation between these variables was established.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Ophthalmology, Colombia National University, Bogota, Colombia.

ABSTRACT

Purpose: To establish the prevalence of nasopupillary asymmetry (difference in nasopupillary distances) in the population and its relation with the interpupillary distance.

Methods: A retrospective descriptive study was conducted by reviewing of 1262 medical records. The values of nasopupillary asymmetry and the interpupillary distance were obtained. A statistical analysis was made and the correlation between these variables was established.

Results: Seventy-nine percent of the population presented some degree of nasopupillary asymmetry. The interpupillary distance had a very low correlation with the nasopupillary asymmetry (r = 0.074, P = 0.0).

Conclusion: It is advisable to use the nasopupillary distance of each eye as a standard measurement.

Show MeSH
Distribution of the NPA in the population.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection


getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4269086&req=5

fig2: Distribution of the NPA in the population.

Mentions: Of the total population of patients with NPA, 76 (7.6%) patients had an NPA of 0.5 mm, 445 (44.6%) of 1 mm, 43 (4.3%) of 1.5 mm, 270 (27.08%) of 2 mm, 10 (1%) of 2.5 mm, 114 (11.43%) of 3 mm, 3 (0.3%) of 3.5 mm, 28 (2.8%) of 4 mm, 5 (0.5%) of 5 mm, and 3 (0.3%) of 6 mm (Figure 2). 729 patients (73.19%) had the RE farther than the LE (RE NPD greater than LE NPD) and the remaining 268 (26.8%) had the LE farther than the RE (LE NPD higher than the RE NPD) (P = 0.0). A very low correlation between ID and NPA was found (r = 0.074, P = 0.0) (Figure 3).


Nasopupillary asymmetry.

Arenas E, Muñoz D, Matheus E, Morales D - ScientificWorldJournal (2014)

Distribution of the NPA in the population.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4269086&req=5

fig2: Distribution of the NPA in the population.
Mentions: Of the total population of patients with NPA, 76 (7.6%) patients had an NPA of 0.5 mm, 445 (44.6%) of 1 mm, 43 (4.3%) of 1.5 mm, 270 (27.08%) of 2 mm, 10 (1%) of 2.5 mm, 114 (11.43%) of 3 mm, 3 (0.3%) of 3.5 mm, 28 (2.8%) of 4 mm, 5 (0.5%) of 5 mm, and 3 (0.3%) of 6 mm (Figure 2). 729 patients (73.19%) had the RE farther than the LE (RE NPD greater than LE NPD) and the remaining 268 (26.8%) had the LE farther than the RE (LE NPD higher than the RE NPD) (P = 0.0). A very low correlation between ID and NPA was found (r = 0.074, P = 0.0) (Figure 3).

Bottom Line: To establish the prevalence of nasopupillary asymmetry (difference in nasopupillary distances) in the population and its relation with the interpupillary distance.The values of nasopupillary asymmetry and the interpupillary distance were obtained.A statistical analysis was made and the correlation between these variables was established.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Ophthalmology, Colombia National University, Bogota, Colombia.

ABSTRACT

Purpose: To establish the prevalence of nasopupillary asymmetry (difference in nasopupillary distances) in the population and its relation with the interpupillary distance.

Methods: A retrospective descriptive study was conducted by reviewing of 1262 medical records. The values of nasopupillary asymmetry and the interpupillary distance were obtained. A statistical analysis was made and the correlation between these variables was established.

Results: Seventy-nine percent of the population presented some degree of nasopupillary asymmetry. The interpupillary distance had a very low correlation with the nasopupillary asymmetry (r = 0.074, P = 0.0).

Conclusion: It is advisable to use the nasopupillary distance of each eye as a standard measurement.

Show MeSH