Limits...
Clonal relationships impact neuronal tuning within a phylogenetically ancient vertebrate brain structure.

Muldal AM, Lillicrap TP, Richards BA, Akerman CJ - Curr. Biol. (2014)

Bottom Line: To address this question, we examined the influence of lineage on the response properties of neurons within the optic tectum, a visual brain area found in all vertebrates.If lineage relationships do not influence the functional properties of tectal neurons, one prediction is that the RF positions of sister neurons should be no more (or less) similar to one another than those of neighboring control neurons.Our data reveal that the RF centers of sister neurons are significantly more similar than would be expected by chance.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3QT, UK.

Show MeSH

Related in: MedlinePlus

Morphology and Laminar Distribution of Tectal Sister Neurons(A) Two-photon image showing a pair of labeled sister neurons (red, open arrowheads) within a tectum loaded with OGB1-AM (cyan). The scale bar represents 50 μm. Boundaries of the nine tectal layers are annotated on the left.(B) Example morphological reconstructions of labeled sister neurons located in different tectal layers (top) and in the same tectal layer (bottom). Dotted white lines denote the positions of the layer boundaries, as determined from the OGB1-AM loading. Scale bars represent 50 μm.(C) Diagram showing the main tectal layers and cell types (left) and laminar fates of labeled sister neurons (right; n = 45 clones). Cell-dense layers are gray; neuropil layers are white. Red circles within each dashed column represent layer positions of daughter neurons generated by a single progenitor cell.
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection


getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4151134&req=5

fig2: Morphology and Laminar Distribution of Tectal Sister Neurons(A) Two-photon image showing a pair of labeled sister neurons (red, open arrowheads) within a tectum loaded with OGB1-AM (cyan). The scale bar represents 50 μm. Boundaries of the nine tectal layers are annotated on the left.(B) Example morphological reconstructions of labeled sister neurons located in different tectal layers (top) and in the same tectal layer (bottom). Dotted white lines denote the positions of the layer boundaries, as determined from the OGB1-AM loading. Scale bars represent 50 μm.(C) Diagram showing the main tectal layers and cell types (left) and laminar fates of labeled sister neurons (right; n = 45 clones). Cell-dense layers are gray; neuropil layers are white. Red circles within each dashed column represent layer positions of daughter neurons generated by a single progenitor cell.

Mentions: To reveal the architecture of the tectum and to probe the functional properties of tectal neurons, we then injected the calcium indicator dye Oregon Green BAPTA1-AM (OGB1-AM) into the region encompassing the dextran-labeled neurons. Images taken before and after the OGB1-AM injection enabled us to confirm 45 animals in which the dextran-labeled neurons could still be clearly distinguished, and the different tectal layers were clearly demarcated [12, 13] (Figure 2A). Each clone was comprised of 2–7 fluorescently labeled neurons. The majority of clones (25 out of 45; 56%) spanned multiple cell-dense layers of the tectum, and, in the remainder (20 out of 45; 44%), the neurons were restricted to the same layer (Figure 2B). Across all clones, there was a strong tendency for neurons derived from the same progenitor to be situated within nearby cell-dense layers (p < 2 × 10−5, bootstrap test; Figure 2C; Supplemental Experimental Procedures).


Clonal relationships impact neuronal tuning within a phylogenetically ancient vertebrate brain structure.

Muldal AM, Lillicrap TP, Richards BA, Akerman CJ - Curr. Biol. (2014)

Morphology and Laminar Distribution of Tectal Sister Neurons(A) Two-photon image showing a pair of labeled sister neurons (red, open arrowheads) within a tectum loaded with OGB1-AM (cyan). The scale bar represents 50 μm. Boundaries of the nine tectal layers are annotated on the left.(B) Example morphological reconstructions of labeled sister neurons located in different tectal layers (top) and in the same tectal layer (bottom). Dotted white lines denote the positions of the layer boundaries, as determined from the OGB1-AM loading. Scale bars represent 50 μm.(C) Diagram showing the main tectal layers and cell types (left) and laminar fates of labeled sister neurons (right; n = 45 clones). Cell-dense layers are gray; neuropil layers are white. Red circles within each dashed column represent layer positions of daughter neurons generated by a single progenitor cell.
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection

Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4151134&req=5

fig2: Morphology and Laminar Distribution of Tectal Sister Neurons(A) Two-photon image showing a pair of labeled sister neurons (red, open arrowheads) within a tectum loaded with OGB1-AM (cyan). The scale bar represents 50 μm. Boundaries of the nine tectal layers are annotated on the left.(B) Example morphological reconstructions of labeled sister neurons located in different tectal layers (top) and in the same tectal layer (bottom). Dotted white lines denote the positions of the layer boundaries, as determined from the OGB1-AM loading. Scale bars represent 50 μm.(C) Diagram showing the main tectal layers and cell types (left) and laminar fates of labeled sister neurons (right; n = 45 clones). Cell-dense layers are gray; neuropil layers are white. Red circles within each dashed column represent layer positions of daughter neurons generated by a single progenitor cell.
Mentions: To reveal the architecture of the tectum and to probe the functional properties of tectal neurons, we then injected the calcium indicator dye Oregon Green BAPTA1-AM (OGB1-AM) into the region encompassing the dextran-labeled neurons. Images taken before and after the OGB1-AM injection enabled us to confirm 45 animals in which the dextran-labeled neurons could still be clearly distinguished, and the different tectal layers were clearly demarcated [12, 13] (Figure 2A). Each clone was comprised of 2–7 fluorescently labeled neurons. The majority of clones (25 out of 45; 56%) spanned multiple cell-dense layers of the tectum, and, in the remainder (20 out of 45; 44%), the neurons were restricted to the same layer (Figure 2B). Across all clones, there was a strong tendency for neurons derived from the same progenitor to be situated within nearby cell-dense layers (p < 2 × 10−5, bootstrap test; Figure 2C; Supplemental Experimental Procedures).

Bottom Line: To address this question, we examined the influence of lineage on the response properties of neurons within the optic tectum, a visual brain area found in all vertebrates.If lineage relationships do not influence the functional properties of tectal neurons, one prediction is that the RF positions of sister neurons should be no more (or less) similar to one another than those of neighboring control neurons.Our data reveal that the RF centers of sister neurons are significantly more similar than would be expected by chance.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3QT, UK.

Show MeSH
Related in: MedlinePlus