Limits...
Induced effects of transcranial magnetic stimulation on the autonomic nervous system and the cardiac rhythm.

Cabrerizo M, Cabrera A, Perez JO, de la Rua J, Rojas N, Zhou Q, Pinzon-Ardila A, Gonzalez-Arias SM, Adjouadi M - ScientificWorldJournal (2014)

Bottom Line: The rTMS activation resulted in a reduction of the RR intervals (cardioacceleration) in most cases.Most of these cases also showed significant changes in the Poincare plot descriptor SD2 (long-term variability), the area under the low frequency (LF) power spectrum density curve, and the low frequency to high frequency (LF/HF) ratio.The RR intervals changed significantly in specific instants of time during rTMS activation showing either heart rate acceleration or heart rate deceleration.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Center for Advanced Technology and Education, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, College of Engineering and Computing, Florida International University (FIU), USA.

ABSTRACT
Several standard protocols based on repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) have been employed for treatment of a variety of neurological disorders. Despite their advantages in patients that are retractable to medication, there is a lack of knowledge about the effects of rTMS on the autonomic nervous system that controls the cardiovascular system. Current understanding suggests that the shape of the so-called QRS complex together with the size of the different segments and intervals between the PQRST deflections of the heart could predict the nature of the different arrhythmias and ailments affecting the heart. This preliminary study involving 10 normal subjects from 20 to 30 years of age demonstrated that rTMS can induce changes in the heart rhythm. The autonomic activity that controls the cardiac rhythm was indeed altered by an rTMS session targeting the motor cortex using intensity below the subject's motor threshold and lasting no more than 5 minutes. The rTMS activation resulted in a reduction of the RR intervals (cardioacceleration) in most cases. Most of these cases also showed significant changes in the Poincare plot descriptor SD2 (long-term variability), the area under the low frequency (LF) power spectrum density curve, and the low frequency to high frequency (LF/HF) ratio. The RR intervals changed significantly in specific instants of time during rTMS activation showing either heart rate acceleration or heart rate deceleration.

Show MeSH

Related in: MedlinePlus

Power spectrum: (a) corresponds to LF and (b) to HF components.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection


getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4127210&req=5

fig9: Power spectrum: (a) corresponds to LF and (b) to HF components.

Mentions: In reference to the results shown in Figure 9 and Table 3, frequency domain estimates (see Table 3) suggest that the ratio LF/HF, an indicator of sympathetic activation, increased for 60% of the subjects while it decreased for the remaining 40% of the subjects. The majority of these results indicate that rTMS influenced the vasomotor center, which is located in the reticular substance of the medulla and pons, connected with the motor cortex. The indirect influence of rTMS upon cardiac centers was apparently heterogeneous. Some previous reports describe changes in the power spectrum of the HRV accompanying rTMS. For example, when using low frequency rTMS it was found that both LF and HF power increased significantly. The area under the LF and HF curves from power spectral plots increased after TMS stimulation and LF/HF ratio decrease for 40% of the subjects.


Induced effects of transcranial magnetic stimulation on the autonomic nervous system and the cardiac rhythm.

Cabrerizo M, Cabrera A, Perez JO, de la Rua J, Rojas N, Zhou Q, Pinzon-Ardila A, Gonzalez-Arias SM, Adjouadi M - ScientificWorldJournal (2014)

Power spectrum: (a) corresponds to LF and (b) to HF components.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4127210&req=5

fig9: Power spectrum: (a) corresponds to LF and (b) to HF components.
Mentions: In reference to the results shown in Figure 9 and Table 3, frequency domain estimates (see Table 3) suggest that the ratio LF/HF, an indicator of sympathetic activation, increased for 60% of the subjects while it decreased for the remaining 40% of the subjects. The majority of these results indicate that rTMS influenced the vasomotor center, which is located in the reticular substance of the medulla and pons, connected with the motor cortex. The indirect influence of rTMS upon cardiac centers was apparently heterogeneous. Some previous reports describe changes in the power spectrum of the HRV accompanying rTMS. For example, when using low frequency rTMS it was found that both LF and HF power increased significantly. The area under the LF and HF curves from power spectral plots increased after TMS stimulation and LF/HF ratio decrease for 40% of the subjects.

Bottom Line: The rTMS activation resulted in a reduction of the RR intervals (cardioacceleration) in most cases.Most of these cases also showed significant changes in the Poincare plot descriptor SD2 (long-term variability), the area under the low frequency (LF) power spectrum density curve, and the low frequency to high frequency (LF/HF) ratio.The RR intervals changed significantly in specific instants of time during rTMS activation showing either heart rate acceleration or heart rate deceleration.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Center for Advanced Technology and Education, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, College of Engineering and Computing, Florida International University (FIU), USA.

ABSTRACT
Several standard protocols based on repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) have been employed for treatment of a variety of neurological disorders. Despite their advantages in patients that are retractable to medication, there is a lack of knowledge about the effects of rTMS on the autonomic nervous system that controls the cardiovascular system. Current understanding suggests that the shape of the so-called QRS complex together with the size of the different segments and intervals between the PQRST deflections of the heart could predict the nature of the different arrhythmias and ailments affecting the heart. This preliminary study involving 10 normal subjects from 20 to 30 years of age demonstrated that rTMS can induce changes in the heart rhythm. The autonomic activity that controls the cardiac rhythm was indeed altered by an rTMS session targeting the motor cortex using intensity below the subject's motor threshold and lasting no more than 5 minutes. The rTMS activation resulted in a reduction of the RR intervals (cardioacceleration) in most cases. Most of these cases also showed significant changes in the Poincare plot descriptor SD2 (long-term variability), the area under the low frequency (LF) power spectrum density curve, and the low frequency to high frequency (LF/HF) ratio. The RR intervals changed significantly in specific instants of time during rTMS activation showing either heart rate acceleration or heart rate deceleration.

Show MeSH
Related in: MedlinePlus