Limits...
First record of isolation and characterization of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus lugdunensis from clinical samples in Iraq.

Al-Charrakh AH, Obayes MH - Biomed Res Int (2014)

Bottom Line: The results of oxacillin MIC showed that 7 of the 15 (46.6%) S. lugdunensis isolates were oxacillin resistant.Results of molecular detection of mecA gene found that mecA gene was detected in 6 (40%) of 15 S. lugdunensis.This study is a first record of isolation and characterization of methicillin resistant S. lugdunensis (MRSL) from clinical samples in Iraq.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Microbiology, College of Medicine, Babylon University, Hilla, Babylon Governorate, Iraq.

ABSTRACT
This study was conducted to determine the frequency of Staphylococcus lugdunensis in different clinical samples. Out of 690 clinical samples, a total of 178 coagulase negative staphylococci (CoNS) isolates were recovered. CoNS were identified as 10 different species; 22 isolates belonged to Staphylococcus lugdunensis. Two specific genes for S. lugdunensis were used (tanA gene and fbl gene) to confirm identification. Both of these specific genes were detected in 15 (68.1%) of 22 isolates that were identified phenotypically. The results of oxacillin MIC showed that 7 of the 15 (46.6%) S. lugdunensis isolates were oxacillin resistant. The antibiotic susceptibility testing against 16 antibiotics showed that resistance rates were variable towards these antibiotics. Eight of fifteen S. lugdunensis isolates (53.3%) were β-lactamase producer. Results of molecular detection of mecA gene found that mecA gene was detected in 6 (40%) of 15 S. lugdunensis. All of these 6 isolates (S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, and S6) were resistant to oxacillin. One isolate (S7) was resistant to oxacillin but mecA was not detected in this isolate. This study is a first record of isolation and characterization of methicillin resistant S. lugdunensis (MRSL) from clinical samples in Iraq.

Show MeSH

Related in: MedlinePlus

Gel electrophoresis of PCR of tanA amplicon (239 bp) product: Lane L: ladder (1000-bp ladder); Lanes S1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14: number of S. lugdunensis isolates from different clinical samples.
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4121997&req=5

fig1: Gel electrophoresis of PCR of tanA amplicon (239 bp) product: Lane L: ladder (1000-bp ladder); Lanes S1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14: number of S. lugdunensis isolates from different clinical samples.

Mentions: The specific tanA gene for S. lugdunensis was detected in 15 (68.1%) of 22 isolates that were identified phenotypically. These 15 isolates were identified as S. lugdunensis (Figure 1). The remaining 7 isolates (31.9%) were reidentified as “S. pseudolugdunensis” [17]. Result also found that S. aureus and S. epidermidis that were used as negative control had no tanA gene which confirms the result of Noguchi and his coworkers [12] who found that no gene or protein homologous to tanA were found in a similarity search using published databases such as Gen Bank. These results strongly suggest that tanA is specific to S. lugdunensis.


First record of isolation and characterization of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus lugdunensis from clinical samples in Iraq.

Al-Charrakh AH, Obayes MH - Biomed Res Int (2014)

Gel electrophoresis of PCR of tanA amplicon (239 bp) product: Lane L: ladder (1000-bp ladder); Lanes S1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14: number of S. lugdunensis isolates from different clinical samples.
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4121997&req=5

fig1: Gel electrophoresis of PCR of tanA amplicon (239 bp) product: Lane L: ladder (1000-bp ladder); Lanes S1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14: number of S. lugdunensis isolates from different clinical samples.
Mentions: The specific tanA gene for S. lugdunensis was detected in 15 (68.1%) of 22 isolates that were identified phenotypically. These 15 isolates were identified as S. lugdunensis (Figure 1). The remaining 7 isolates (31.9%) were reidentified as “S. pseudolugdunensis” [17]. Result also found that S. aureus and S. epidermidis that were used as negative control had no tanA gene which confirms the result of Noguchi and his coworkers [12] who found that no gene or protein homologous to tanA were found in a similarity search using published databases such as Gen Bank. These results strongly suggest that tanA is specific to S. lugdunensis.

Bottom Line: The results of oxacillin MIC showed that 7 of the 15 (46.6%) S. lugdunensis isolates were oxacillin resistant.Results of molecular detection of mecA gene found that mecA gene was detected in 6 (40%) of 15 S. lugdunensis.This study is a first record of isolation and characterization of methicillin resistant S. lugdunensis (MRSL) from clinical samples in Iraq.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Microbiology, College of Medicine, Babylon University, Hilla, Babylon Governorate, Iraq.

ABSTRACT
This study was conducted to determine the frequency of Staphylococcus lugdunensis in different clinical samples. Out of 690 clinical samples, a total of 178 coagulase negative staphylococci (CoNS) isolates were recovered. CoNS were identified as 10 different species; 22 isolates belonged to Staphylococcus lugdunensis. Two specific genes for S. lugdunensis were used (tanA gene and fbl gene) to confirm identification. Both of these specific genes were detected in 15 (68.1%) of 22 isolates that were identified phenotypically. The results of oxacillin MIC showed that 7 of the 15 (46.6%) S. lugdunensis isolates were oxacillin resistant. The antibiotic susceptibility testing against 16 antibiotics showed that resistance rates were variable towards these antibiotics. Eight of fifteen S. lugdunensis isolates (53.3%) were β-lactamase producer. Results of molecular detection of mecA gene found that mecA gene was detected in 6 (40%) of 15 S. lugdunensis. All of these 6 isolates (S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, and S6) were resistant to oxacillin. One isolate (S7) was resistant to oxacillin but mecA was not detected in this isolate. This study is a first record of isolation and characterization of methicillin resistant S. lugdunensis (MRSL) from clinical samples in Iraq.

Show MeSH
Related in: MedlinePlus