Limits...
Association between Ocular Pseudoexfoliation and Sensorineural Hearing Loss.

Singham NV, Zahari M, Peyman M, Prepageran N, Subrayan V - J Ophthalmol (2014)

Bottom Line: Below average hearing thresholds were significantly higher in the pseudoexfoliation group compared to the control group (P = 0.01; odds ratio (OR), 3.00; 95% confidence interval (CI), 1.25-7.19).Conclusion.Our study found an association between PXF and SNHL, confirming that PXF can involve organs in the body other than the eye.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Ophthalmology, University of Malaya, Lembah Pantai, 59100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

ABSTRACT
Background. Our study aimed to investigate an association between ocular pseudoexfoliation (PXF) and sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) and to compare them with age and sex matched controls without pseudoexfoliation. Method. This was a case-control study of 123 patients which included 68 cases with PXF (at least one eye) and 55 controls without pseudoexfoliation. Pure-tone audiometry (PTA) was done for these patients at sound frequencies taken as important for speech comprehension, that is, 250 Hertz (Hz), 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, and 2000 Hz. Results. There were 41 patients with pseudoexfoliation syndrome (PXE) and 27 with pseudoexfoliative glaucoma (PXEG). The majority of patients with hearing loss (60%; n = 51) were PXF patients and the remaining 40% (n = 34) were controls. Below average hearing thresholds were significantly higher in the pseudoexfoliation group compared to the control group (P = 0.01; odds ratio (OR), 3.00; 95% confidence interval (CI), 1.25-7.19). However, there was no significant difference in the mean hearing threshold levels between the three groups (PXE, PXEG, and controls) in either ear (ANOVA, right ear: P = 0.46 and left ear P = 0.36). Conclusion. Our study found an association between PXF and SNHL, confirming that PXF can involve organs in the body other than the eye.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

Right ear mean hearing threshold levels (95% confidence interval (CI), decibels (dB), and hearing level (HL) in 4 frequencies in Hz in case and control groups).
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection


getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4016926&req=5

fig2: Right ear mean hearing threshold levels (95% confidence interval (CI), decibels (dB), and hearing level (HL) in 4 frequencies in Hz in case and control groups).

Mentions: Similarly, in the left ear of patients with pseudoexfoliation it was found that mean hearing threshold levels were higher at frequencies 500 Hz (t-test, P = 0.03) and 1000 Hz (t-test, P = 0.04) when compared with control group (Figure 2).


Association between Ocular Pseudoexfoliation and Sensorineural Hearing Loss.

Singham NV, Zahari M, Peyman M, Prepageran N, Subrayan V - J Ophthalmol (2014)

Right ear mean hearing threshold levels (95% confidence interval (CI), decibels (dB), and hearing level (HL) in 4 frequencies in Hz in case and control groups).
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC4016926&req=5

fig2: Right ear mean hearing threshold levels (95% confidence interval (CI), decibels (dB), and hearing level (HL) in 4 frequencies in Hz in case and control groups).
Mentions: Similarly, in the left ear of patients with pseudoexfoliation it was found that mean hearing threshold levels were higher at frequencies 500 Hz (t-test, P = 0.03) and 1000 Hz (t-test, P = 0.04) when compared with control group (Figure 2).

Bottom Line: Below average hearing thresholds were significantly higher in the pseudoexfoliation group compared to the control group (P = 0.01; odds ratio (OR), 3.00; 95% confidence interval (CI), 1.25-7.19).Conclusion.Our study found an association between PXF and SNHL, confirming that PXF can involve organs in the body other than the eye.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Ophthalmology, University of Malaya, Lembah Pantai, 59100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

ABSTRACT
Background. Our study aimed to investigate an association between ocular pseudoexfoliation (PXF) and sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) and to compare them with age and sex matched controls without pseudoexfoliation. Method. This was a case-control study of 123 patients which included 68 cases with PXF (at least one eye) and 55 controls without pseudoexfoliation. Pure-tone audiometry (PTA) was done for these patients at sound frequencies taken as important for speech comprehension, that is, 250 Hertz (Hz), 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, and 2000 Hz. Results. There were 41 patients with pseudoexfoliation syndrome (PXE) and 27 with pseudoexfoliative glaucoma (PXEG). The majority of patients with hearing loss (60%; n = 51) were PXF patients and the remaining 40% (n = 34) were controls. Below average hearing thresholds were significantly higher in the pseudoexfoliation group compared to the control group (P = 0.01; odds ratio (OR), 3.00; 95% confidence interval (CI), 1.25-7.19). However, there was no significant difference in the mean hearing threshold levels between the three groups (PXE, PXEG, and controls) in either ear (ANOVA, right ear: P = 0.46 and left ear P = 0.36). Conclusion. Our study found an association between PXF and SNHL, confirming that PXF can involve organs in the body other than the eye.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus