Limits...
Demand for long acting and permanent contraceptive methods and associated factors among married women of reproductive age group in Debre Markos Town, North West Ethiopia.

Bulto GA, Zewdie TA, Beyen TK - BMC Womens Health (2014)

Bottom Line: Both bivariate and multiple logistic regressions were used to identify associated factors.Being in the older age group (40-44 years) [AOR = 2.8; 95% CI:1.12, 9.55], having no desire for more child [AOR = 20.37; 95% CI:9.28, 44.72], desire to have a child after 2 years [AOR = 6.4; 95%CI:3.04,13.47], not ever heard of modern FP [AOR = 5.73; 95% CI:1.26, 25.91], not ever using of modern FP [AOR = 1.89; 95% CI:1.01, 3.55] and having no spousal discussion in the last six month [AOR = 1.642, 95% CI: 1.049, 2.57) were some of the factors significantly associated with demand for LAPMs. Demand and unmet need for LAPMs were high in the study area.Moreover, increasing the availability and accessibility of LAPMs is required to meet the unmet needs.

View Article: PubMed Central - HTML - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Institute of Public Health, College of Medicine and Health Science, University of Gondar, Gondar, Ethiopia. terek7@gmail.com.

ABSTRACT

Background: Ethiopia is the second most populous country in sub Saharan Africa with high total fertility rate, and high maternal and child mortality rates. In sub Saharan African countries, including Ethiopia, even though studies show that demand for contraception is high, the practice is low. Particularly, in Ethiopia, despite the fact that practices on long acting and permanent methods are believed to be low, there are limited evidences on the real magnitude of demand for the methods.

Methods: To assess demand for long acting and permanent contraceptive methods and associated factors among married women of reproductive age group in Debre Markos town, Amhara Regional State, North West Ethiopia, A community based cross sectional study was conducted, from April 08-19, 2012. Systematic sampling technique was used to select 523 study participants. Pre tested structured Amharic version questionnaire was used to collect the data through interview. Both bivariate and multiple logistic regressions were used to identify associated factors.

Results: Among 519 respondents, 323 (62.2%) were using modern family planning (FP) methods in which 101 (19.5%) were using long acting and permanent contraceptive methods (LAPMs). Among all respondents, 171 (32.9%) had unmet need for LAPMs. The total demand for LAPMs was 272 (52.4%) of which 37.1% were satisfied and 62.9% unsatisfied demand. Being in the older age group (40-44 years) [AOR = 2.8; 95% CI:1.12, 9.55], having no desire for more child [AOR = 20.37; 95% CI:9.28, 44.72], desire to have a child after 2 years [AOR = 6.4; 95%CI:3.04,13.47], not ever heard of modern FP [AOR = 5.73; 95% CI:1.26, 25.91], not ever using of modern FP [AOR = 1.89; 95% CI:1.01, 3.55] and having no spousal discussion in the last six month [AOR = 1.642, 95% CI: 1.049, 2.57) were some of the factors significantly associated with demand for LAPMs.

Conclusions: Demand and unmet need for LAPMs were high in the study area. Therefore raising awareness of the community, counseling/discussion about the methods with all clients, encouraging spousal involvement are fundamental areas of intervention. Moreover, increasing the availability and accessibility of LAPMs is required to meet the unmet needs.

Show MeSH

Related in: MedlinePlus

Fertility intention of married women of reproductive age group in Debre Markos town, North West Ethiopia, April 2012.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3975156&req=5

Figure 2: Fertility intention of married women of reproductive age group in Debre Markos town, North West Ethiopia, April 2012.

Mentions: Out of the total respondents, 385 (74.2%) have given birth to one or more children. Forty six (8.9%) of respondents were pregnant during the study period. Out of these, 30 (65.2%) were desired pregnancies, 11 (23.9%) pregnancies were mistimed and 5 (10.9%) were not wanted at all. Three hundred thirty six (64.7%) of the study participants desired to have a child and 183 (35.3%) of them didn’t desire to have a child in the future which are considered here after as those with the intention to limit child bearing (Table 2). Among those who desired to have a child in the future 118 (35%) of them wanted within 2–5 years and 105 (31%) wanted after 5 years (Figure 2). The average numbers of children desired in life, ever born and living child were 3.32 with SD of 1.06, 1.97 with SD of 1.67 and 1.84 with SD of 1.56 respectively.


Demand for long acting and permanent contraceptive methods and associated factors among married women of reproductive age group in Debre Markos Town, North West Ethiopia.

Bulto GA, Zewdie TA, Beyen TK - BMC Womens Health (2014)

Fertility intention of married women of reproductive age group in Debre Markos town, North West Ethiopia, April 2012.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3975156&req=5

Figure 2: Fertility intention of married women of reproductive age group in Debre Markos town, North West Ethiopia, April 2012.
Mentions: Out of the total respondents, 385 (74.2%) have given birth to one or more children. Forty six (8.9%) of respondents were pregnant during the study period. Out of these, 30 (65.2%) were desired pregnancies, 11 (23.9%) pregnancies were mistimed and 5 (10.9%) were not wanted at all. Three hundred thirty six (64.7%) of the study participants desired to have a child and 183 (35.3%) of them didn’t desire to have a child in the future which are considered here after as those with the intention to limit child bearing (Table 2). Among those who desired to have a child in the future 118 (35%) of them wanted within 2–5 years and 105 (31%) wanted after 5 years (Figure 2). The average numbers of children desired in life, ever born and living child were 3.32 with SD of 1.06, 1.97 with SD of 1.67 and 1.84 with SD of 1.56 respectively.

Bottom Line: Both bivariate and multiple logistic regressions were used to identify associated factors.Being in the older age group (40-44 years) [AOR = 2.8; 95% CI:1.12, 9.55], having no desire for more child [AOR = 20.37; 95% CI:9.28, 44.72], desire to have a child after 2 years [AOR = 6.4; 95%CI:3.04,13.47], not ever heard of modern FP [AOR = 5.73; 95% CI:1.26, 25.91], not ever using of modern FP [AOR = 1.89; 95% CI:1.01, 3.55] and having no spousal discussion in the last six month [AOR = 1.642, 95% CI: 1.049, 2.57) were some of the factors significantly associated with demand for LAPMs. Demand and unmet need for LAPMs were high in the study area.Moreover, increasing the availability and accessibility of LAPMs is required to meet the unmet needs.

View Article: PubMed Central - HTML - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Institute of Public Health, College of Medicine and Health Science, University of Gondar, Gondar, Ethiopia. terek7@gmail.com.

ABSTRACT

Background: Ethiopia is the second most populous country in sub Saharan Africa with high total fertility rate, and high maternal and child mortality rates. In sub Saharan African countries, including Ethiopia, even though studies show that demand for contraception is high, the practice is low. Particularly, in Ethiopia, despite the fact that practices on long acting and permanent methods are believed to be low, there are limited evidences on the real magnitude of demand for the methods.

Methods: To assess demand for long acting and permanent contraceptive methods and associated factors among married women of reproductive age group in Debre Markos town, Amhara Regional State, North West Ethiopia, A community based cross sectional study was conducted, from April 08-19, 2012. Systematic sampling technique was used to select 523 study participants. Pre tested structured Amharic version questionnaire was used to collect the data through interview. Both bivariate and multiple logistic regressions were used to identify associated factors.

Results: Among 519 respondents, 323 (62.2%) were using modern family planning (FP) methods in which 101 (19.5%) were using long acting and permanent contraceptive methods (LAPMs). Among all respondents, 171 (32.9%) had unmet need for LAPMs. The total demand for LAPMs was 272 (52.4%) of which 37.1% were satisfied and 62.9% unsatisfied demand. Being in the older age group (40-44 years) [AOR = 2.8; 95% CI:1.12, 9.55], having no desire for more child [AOR = 20.37; 95% CI:9.28, 44.72], desire to have a child after 2 years [AOR = 6.4; 95%CI:3.04,13.47], not ever heard of modern FP [AOR = 5.73; 95% CI:1.26, 25.91], not ever using of modern FP [AOR = 1.89; 95% CI:1.01, 3.55] and having no spousal discussion in the last six month [AOR = 1.642, 95% CI: 1.049, 2.57) were some of the factors significantly associated with demand for LAPMs.

Conclusions: Demand and unmet need for LAPMs were high in the study area. Therefore raising awareness of the community, counseling/discussion about the methods with all clients, encouraging spousal involvement are fundamental areas of intervention. Moreover, increasing the availability and accessibility of LAPMs is required to meet the unmet needs.

Show MeSH
Related in: MedlinePlus