Limits...
Inequalities in the care experiences of patients with cancer: analysis of data from the National Cancer Patient Experience Survey 2011-2012.

Bone A, McGrath-Lone L, Day S, Ward H - BMJ Open (2014)

Bottom Line: Female, non-white and younger patients were less likely to rate their overall care as excellent or very good.Patients with long-standing conditions, particularly those with learning disabilities or mental health conditions, also reported poorer overall care.Quality cancer care services must strive to meet the needs of a diverse patient population equally; this study identifies patient groups for whom it appears cancer care services are in greatest need of improvement.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: School of Public Health, Imperial College London, UK.

ABSTRACT

Objectives: To explore inequalities in the care experiences of of patients with cancer by patient, clinical and trust-level factors [corrected].

Design: Secondary analysis of data from the National Cancer Patient Experience Survey 2011-2012.

Setting and participants: Adult patients with a primary diagnosis of cancer who attended an acute or specialist National Health Service (NHS) trust in England.

Outcome measure: OR of a patient rating their overall care positively, adjusting for other patient, clinical and trust-level factors.

Methods: Using cross-sectional data from 71 793 patients with cancer who completed the National Cancer Patient Experience Survey 2011-2012, we examined associations between patient, clinical and trust-level factors and a summary measure of patient experience, namely overall rating of care. Multivariate logistic regression was used to investigate variation by sociodemographic characteristics adjusting for other patient, clinical and trust-level factors.

Results: Female, non-white and younger patients were less likely to rate their overall care as excellent or very good. Patients with long-standing conditions, particularly those with learning disabilities or mental health conditions, also reported poorer overall care. This variation persisted when other patient, clinical and trust-level factors were controlled for, indicating that there are real differences in experiences among patients with cancer by sociodemographic characteristics.

Conclusions: There is evidence of inequalities in the experiences of patients with cancer in the UK by sociodemographic characteristics such as gender, age, ethnicity and disability. Quality cancer care services must strive to meet the needs of a diverse patient population equally; this study identifies patient groups for whom it appears cancer care services are in greatest need of improvement.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

Responses from NCPES 2011-12 to Q70 “Overall, how would you rate your care”?
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3927926&req=5

BMJOPEN2013004567F1: Responses from NCPES 2011-12 to Q70 “Overall, how would you rate your care”?

Mentions: A total of 71 793 patients admitted to hospital trusts across England with a primary cancer diagnosis completed the survey. Table 1 shows the demographic and clinical characteristics of respondents and table 2 the characteristics of the hospital trusts they attended. The majority of patients were white, female and >50 years old and there were substantial numbers with disabilities or other long-standing conditions. The most common tumour groups were breast and haematological cancers. Most respondents had started their treatment in the last year and were admitted to hospital as day case patients on their most recent visit. Most were treated in large acute trusts, trusts with foundation status and trusts rated ‘Good’ by CQC. The majority of patients (96.5%, n=69 276) provided a response to Q70 “Overall, how would you rate your care?” In total 87.8% rated their care as ‘excellent’ or ‘very good’ while the remaining 12.2% rated their care ‘good’, ‘fair’ or ‘poor’ (figure 1).


Inequalities in the care experiences of patients with cancer: analysis of data from the National Cancer Patient Experience Survey 2011-2012.

Bone A, McGrath-Lone L, Day S, Ward H - BMJ Open (2014)

Responses from NCPES 2011-12 to Q70 “Overall, how would you rate your care”?
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3927926&req=5

BMJOPEN2013004567F1: Responses from NCPES 2011-12 to Q70 “Overall, how would you rate your care”?
Mentions: A total of 71 793 patients admitted to hospital trusts across England with a primary cancer diagnosis completed the survey. Table 1 shows the demographic and clinical characteristics of respondents and table 2 the characteristics of the hospital trusts they attended. The majority of patients were white, female and >50 years old and there were substantial numbers with disabilities or other long-standing conditions. The most common tumour groups were breast and haematological cancers. Most respondents had started their treatment in the last year and were admitted to hospital as day case patients on their most recent visit. Most were treated in large acute trusts, trusts with foundation status and trusts rated ‘Good’ by CQC. The majority of patients (96.5%, n=69 276) provided a response to Q70 “Overall, how would you rate your care?” In total 87.8% rated their care as ‘excellent’ or ‘very good’ while the remaining 12.2% rated their care ‘good’, ‘fair’ or ‘poor’ (figure 1).

Bottom Line: Female, non-white and younger patients were less likely to rate their overall care as excellent or very good.Patients with long-standing conditions, particularly those with learning disabilities or mental health conditions, also reported poorer overall care.Quality cancer care services must strive to meet the needs of a diverse patient population equally; this study identifies patient groups for whom it appears cancer care services are in greatest need of improvement.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: School of Public Health, Imperial College London, UK.

ABSTRACT

Objectives: To explore inequalities in the care experiences of of patients with cancer by patient, clinical and trust-level factors [corrected].

Design: Secondary analysis of data from the National Cancer Patient Experience Survey 2011-2012.

Setting and participants: Adult patients with a primary diagnosis of cancer who attended an acute or specialist National Health Service (NHS) trust in England.

Outcome measure: OR of a patient rating their overall care positively, adjusting for other patient, clinical and trust-level factors.

Methods: Using cross-sectional data from 71 793 patients with cancer who completed the National Cancer Patient Experience Survey 2011-2012, we examined associations between patient, clinical and trust-level factors and a summary measure of patient experience, namely overall rating of care. Multivariate logistic regression was used to investigate variation by sociodemographic characteristics adjusting for other patient, clinical and trust-level factors.

Results: Female, non-white and younger patients were less likely to rate their overall care as excellent or very good. Patients with long-standing conditions, particularly those with learning disabilities or mental health conditions, also reported poorer overall care. This variation persisted when other patient, clinical and trust-level factors were controlled for, indicating that there are real differences in experiences among patients with cancer by sociodemographic characteristics.

Conclusions: There is evidence of inequalities in the experiences of patients with cancer in the UK by sociodemographic characteristics such as gender, age, ethnicity and disability. Quality cancer care services must strive to meet the needs of a diverse patient population equally; this study identifies patient groups for whom it appears cancer care services are in greatest need of improvement.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus