Limits...
Assessing the Influence of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) on Erectile Dysfunction (ED) among patients in Poland.

Dutkiewicz S, Skawiński D, Duda W, Duda M - Cent European J Urol (2012)

Bottom Line: After excluding sexually inactive patients, only 1,088 (25%) patients had the ability to obtain an erection during sexual activity always or nearly always.However, that erection was only strong enough to penetrate their partner almost always or most of the time in 218 (5%) and 826 (19%) patients respectively and only 610 (14%) patients were always able to maintain their erection during sexual intercourse.While only 87 (2%) patients had no difficulty maintaining their erection until the completion of intercourse, 174 (4%) and 914 (21%) patients stated that sexual intercourse gave satisfaction nearly always or most of the time respectively.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Prevention and Epidemiology of Neoplasms, Institute of Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, J. Kochanowski University, Kielce ; Department of Urology, E. Michałowski Urological Hospital, Katowice, Poland.

ABSTRACT

Introduction: Erectile dysfunction (ED) and the lower urinary tract symptoms caused by benign prostatic hyperplasia (LUTS/BPH) are highly prevalent among aging men. More data are needed from studies evaluating the impact of LUTS/BPH on ED. This study aimed to assess ED in patients with LUTS/BPH independent of comorbidities.

Material and methods: During 2007 and 2008, we examined 10,932 patients aged 50 to 69 years with LUTS/BPH (IPSS = 8-19 points) using questionnaires: Sex-Score and International Index of Erectile Function 5 (IIEF-5). Patients who used alcohol and/or cigarettes and those with hypertension, diabetes, or hyperlipidemia and cholesterolemia were excluded from meta analyses, which left 4,354 patients with LUTS/BPH without any comorbidity for the analyses. The main survey instruments used were the Sex-Score and IIEF-5.

Results: Regarding sexual coexistence, 1,497 (34.4%) and 2,638 (60.6%) patients considered it very important or important respectively; however, 219(5%) patients reported no sexual activity. After excluding sexually inactive patients, only 1,088 (25%) patients had the ability to obtain an erection during sexual activity always or nearly always. However, that erection was only strong enough to penetrate their partner almost always or most of the time in 218 (5%) and 826 (19%) patients respectively and only 610 (14%) patients were always able to maintain their erection during sexual intercourse. While only 87 (2%) patients had no difficulty maintaining their erection until the completion of intercourse, 174 (4%) and 914 (21%) patients stated that sexual intercourse gave satisfaction nearly always or most of the time respectively.

Conclusions: The impact of ED on patients with LUTS/BPH is evident across domains.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

Assessing achievement of satisfaction from sexual intercourse among the examined patients with BPH.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3921801&req=5

Figure 0005: Assessing achievement of satisfaction from sexual intercourse among the examined patients with BPH.

Mentions: We analyzed the results of 4,354 (100%) patients with LUTS/BPH on the basis of Sex-Score and IIEF-5 questionnaires. We found that sexual coexistence activity was at least important to 4,135(95%) patients, while the remaining 5% admitted to no sexual activity (Fig. 1). Sexually inactivity was observed in men who were of older age – most often because their wives had chronic illnesses that prevented sexual intercourse or they themselves resigned from a sexual lifestyle. Of the 95% that considered sexual coexistence important, only 1,088 (25%) patients were able to obtain an erection during sexual activity at least nearly always (Fig. 2). We also found that only 1,044 (24%) patients had an erection that was strong enough to penetrate their partner (Fig. 3) and only 610 (14%) were able to maintain their erection during sexual intercourse at least most of the time (Fig. 4); however, only 87 (2%) patients had no difficulty maintaining their erection until the completion of intercourse (Fig. 5). Contrary to the above results, 1,088 (25%) patients achieved satisfaction from sexual intercourse at least most of the time (Fig. 6).


Assessing the Influence of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) on Erectile Dysfunction (ED) among patients in Poland.

Dutkiewicz S, Skawiński D, Duda W, Duda M - Cent European J Urol (2012)

Assessing achievement of satisfaction from sexual intercourse among the examined patients with BPH.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3921801&req=5

Figure 0005: Assessing achievement of satisfaction from sexual intercourse among the examined patients with BPH.
Mentions: We analyzed the results of 4,354 (100%) patients with LUTS/BPH on the basis of Sex-Score and IIEF-5 questionnaires. We found that sexual coexistence activity was at least important to 4,135(95%) patients, while the remaining 5% admitted to no sexual activity (Fig. 1). Sexually inactivity was observed in men who were of older age – most often because their wives had chronic illnesses that prevented sexual intercourse or they themselves resigned from a sexual lifestyle. Of the 95% that considered sexual coexistence important, only 1,088 (25%) patients were able to obtain an erection during sexual activity at least nearly always (Fig. 2). We also found that only 1,044 (24%) patients had an erection that was strong enough to penetrate their partner (Fig. 3) and only 610 (14%) were able to maintain their erection during sexual intercourse at least most of the time (Fig. 4); however, only 87 (2%) patients had no difficulty maintaining their erection until the completion of intercourse (Fig. 5). Contrary to the above results, 1,088 (25%) patients achieved satisfaction from sexual intercourse at least most of the time (Fig. 6).

Bottom Line: After excluding sexually inactive patients, only 1,088 (25%) patients had the ability to obtain an erection during sexual activity always or nearly always.However, that erection was only strong enough to penetrate their partner almost always or most of the time in 218 (5%) and 826 (19%) patients respectively and only 610 (14%) patients were always able to maintain their erection during sexual intercourse.While only 87 (2%) patients had no difficulty maintaining their erection until the completion of intercourse, 174 (4%) and 914 (21%) patients stated that sexual intercourse gave satisfaction nearly always or most of the time respectively.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Prevention and Epidemiology of Neoplasms, Institute of Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, J. Kochanowski University, Kielce ; Department of Urology, E. Michałowski Urological Hospital, Katowice, Poland.

ABSTRACT

Introduction: Erectile dysfunction (ED) and the lower urinary tract symptoms caused by benign prostatic hyperplasia (LUTS/BPH) are highly prevalent among aging men. More data are needed from studies evaluating the impact of LUTS/BPH on ED. This study aimed to assess ED in patients with LUTS/BPH independent of comorbidities.

Material and methods: During 2007 and 2008, we examined 10,932 patients aged 50 to 69 years with LUTS/BPH (IPSS = 8-19 points) using questionnaires: Sex-Score and International Index of Erectile Function 5 (IIEF-5). Patients who used alcohol and/or cigarettes and those with hypertension, diabetes, or hyperlipidemia and cholesterolemia were excluded from meta analyses, which left 4,354 patients with LUTS/BPH without any comorbidity for the analyses. The main survey instruments used were the Sex-Score and IIEF-5.

Results: Regarding sexual coexistence, 1,497 (34.4%) and 2,638 (60.6%) patients considered it very important or important respectively; however, 219(5%) patients reported no sexual activity. After excluding sexually inactive patients, only 1,088 (25%) patients had the ability to obtain an erection during sexual activity always or nearly always. However, that erection was only strong enough to penetrate their partner almost always or most of the time in 218 (5%) and 826 (19%) patients respectively and only 610 (14%) patients were always able to maintain their erection during sexual intercourse. While only 87 (2%) patients had no difficulty maintaining their erection until the completion of intercourse, 174 (4%) and 914 (21%) patients stated that sexual intercourse gave satisfaction nearly always or most of the time respectively.

Conclusions: The impact of ED on patients with LUTS/BPH is evident across domains.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus