Limits...
Simple enzymatic procedure for L-carnosine synthesis: whole-cell biocatalysis and efficient biocatalyst recycling.

Heyland J, Antweiler N, Lutz J, Heck T, Geueke B, Kohler HP, Blank LM, Schmid A - Microb Biotechnol (2009)

Bottom Line: β-Peptides and their derivates are usually stable to proteolysis and have an increased half-life compared with α-peptides.Long-time as well as biocatalyst recycling experiments indicated a high stability of the developed biocatalyst for at least five repeated batches.Application of the recombinant E. coli in a fed-batch process enabled the accumulation of l-carnosine to a concentration of 3.7 g l(-1).

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Laboratory of Chemical Biotechnology, TU Dortmund, 44221 Dortmund, Germany.

Show MeSH

Related in: MedlinePlus

Impact of pH on l‐carnosine synthesis. Yields of product l‐carnosine (grey) and of peptidic by‐products (black) are given in per cent of H‐β‐Ala‐NH2 as substrate. Maximal yields were obtained after 90 min of incubation for pH 10 and 11, 105 min for pH 9 and 120 min for pH 8 and 12. The ratio of l‐carnosine to the peptidic by‐products (white) illustrates the synthesis performance in dependence to the pH. Summations of yields are not equal to 100% due to simultaneous hydrolysis of substrate and products to H‐β‐Ala‐OH. Reaction conditions: 100 mM Na2CO3 buffer, 10 mM H‐β‐Ala‐NH2, 50 mM l‐histidine, 25°C, 0.05 U ml−1. Protein expression was induced for 4 h.
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection


getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3815949&req=5

f3: Impact of pH on l‐carnosine synthesis. Yields of product l‐carnosine (grey) and of peptidic by‐products (black) are given in per cent of H‐β‐Ala‐NH2 as substrate. Maximal yields were obtained after 90 min of incubation for pH 10 and 11, 105 min for pH 9 and 120 min for pH 8 and 12. The ratio of l‐carnosine to the peptidic by‐products (white) illustrates the synthesis performance in dependence to the pH. Summations of yields are not equal to 100% due to simultaneous hydrolysis of substrate and products to H‐β‐Ala‐OH. Reaction conditions: 100 mM Na2CO3 buffer, 10 mM H‐β‐Ala‐NH2, 50 mM l‐histidine, 25°C, 0.05 U ml−1. Protein expression was induced for 4 h.

Mentions: The effect of pH on the formation of l‐carnosine and peptidic by‐products was studied in the range of pH 8–12 (Fig. 3). The pH value of the reaction system affected the yield of l‐carnosine and peptidic by‐products significantly. While maximal hydrolytic activities of DmpA were found to be between pH 8 and 9, l‐carnosine formation was most effective at pH 10. The corresponding maximal yield was 22.5% at this condition. The increase in yield on l‐carnosine in correlation to the pH is caused by the fact that deprotonated l‐histidine acts as effective nucleophile in the formation of peptide bonds, which was clearly observed at a pH value higher than pH 9. pH values higher than 11, however, reduced peptide formation significantly, most likely due to inactivation of the enzyme DmpA, or decreased stability of the amide. Additionally, the formation of the by‐products H‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐His‐OH and H‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐NH2 was also observed under all conditions. The highest yield of total peptide synthesis (l‐carnosine, H‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐NH2, H‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐NH2, H‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐OH and H‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐His‐OH) was 49% of the consumed H‐β‐Ala‐NH2 at pH 10 and 11. The remaining 51% were assumed to be the product of direct substrate hydrolysis, H‐β‐Ala‐OH. Consequently, pH 10 was used throughout the present study resulting in the highest l‐carnosine yield.


Simple enzymatic procedure for L-carnosine synthesis: whole-cell biocatalysis and efficient biocatalyst recycling.

Heyland J, Antweiler N, Lutz J, Heck T, Geueke B, Kohler HP, Blank LM, Schmid A - Microb Biotechnol (2009)

Impact of pH on l‐carnosine synthesis. Yields of product l‐carnosine (grey) and of peptidic by‐products (black) are given in per cent of H‐β‐Ala‐NH2 as substrate. Maximal yields were obtained after 90 min of incubation for pH 10 and 11, 105 min for pH 9 and 120 min for pH 8 and 12. The ratio of l‐carnosine to the peptidic by‐products (white) illustrates the synthesis performance in dependence to the pH. Summations of yields are not equal to 100% due to simultaneous hydrolysis of substrate and products to H‐β‐Ala‐OH. Reaction conditions: 100 mM Na2CO3 buffer, 10 mM H‐β‐Ala‐NH2, 50 mM l‐histidine, 25°C, 0.05 U ml−1. Protein expression was induced for 4 h.
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection

Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3815949&req=5

f3: Impact of pH on l‐carnosine synthesis. Yields of product l‐carnosine (grey) and of peptidic by‐products (black) are given in per cent of H‐β‐Ala‐NH2 as substrate. Maximal yields were obtained after 90 min of incubation for pH 10 and 11, 105 min for pH 9 and 120 min for pH 8 and 12. The ratio of l‐carnosine to the peptidic by‐products (white) illustrates the synthesis performance in dependence to the pH. Summations of yields are not equal to 100% due to simultaneous hydrolysis of substrate and products to H‐β‐Ala‐OH. Reaction conditions: 100 mM Na2CO3 buffer, 10 mM H‐β‐Ala‐NH2, 50 mM l‐histidine, 25°C, 0.05 U ml−1. Protein expression was induced for 4 h.
Mentions: The effect of pH on the formation of l‐carnosine and peptidic by‐products was studied in the range of pH 8–12 (Fig. 3). The pH value of the reaction system affected the yield of l‐carnosine and peptidic by‐products significantly. While maximal hydrolytic activities of DmpA were found to be between pH 8 and 9, l‐carnosine formation was most effective at pH 10. The corresponding maximal yield was 22.5% at this condition. The increase in yield on l‐carnosine in correlation to the pH is caused by the fact that deprotonated l‐histidine acts as effective nucleophile in the formation of peptide bonds, which was clearly observed at a pH value higher than pH 9. pH values higher than 11, however, reduced peptide formation significantly, most likely due to inactivation of the enzyme DmpA, or decreased stability of the amide. Additionally, the formation of the by‐products H‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐His‐OH and H‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐NH2 was also observed under all conditions. The highest yield of total peptide synthesis (l‐carnosine, H‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐NH2, H‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐NH2, H‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐OH and H‐β‐Ala‐β‐Ala‐His‐OH) was 49% of the consumed H‐β‐Ala‐NH2 at pH 10 and 11. The remaining 51% were assumed to be the product of direct substrate hydrolysis, H‐β‐Ala‐OH. Consequently, pH 10 was used throughout the present study resulting in the highest l‐carnosine yield.

Bottom Line: β-Peptides and their derivates are usually stable to proteolysis and have an increased half-life compared with α-peptides.Long-time as well as biocatalyst recycling experiments indicated a high stability of the developed biocatalyst for at least five repeated batches.Application of the recombinant E. coli in a fed-batch process enabled the accumulation of l-carnosine to a concentration of 3.7 g l(-1).

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Laboratory of Chemical Biotechnology, TU Dortmund, 44221 Dortmund, Germany.

Show MeSH
Related in: MedlinePlus