Limits...
Ketotifen, a mast cell blocker improves sperm motility in asthenospermic infertile men.

Saharkhiz N, Nikbakht R, Hemadi M - J Hum Reprod Sci (2013)

Bottom Line: In control group (n = 20), the men did not receive Ketotifen, while in experiment group (n = 20), the men received oraly ketotifen (1 mg Bid) for 2 months.Semen analysis, under optimal circumferences, was obtained prior to initiation of treatment.Clinical pregnancy was identified as the presence of a fetal sac by vaginal ultrasound examination.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Infertility and In Vitro Fertilization Center, Taleghani Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.

ABSTRACT

Aim: This study aimed to evaluate the efficacy of ketotifen on sperm motility of asthenospermic infertile men.

Setting and design: It is a prospective study designed in vivo.

Materials and methods: In this interventional experimental study, a total of 40 infertile couples with asthenospermic infertility factor undergoing assisted reproductive technology (ART) cycles were enrolled. The couples were randomly assigned to one of two groups at the starting of the cycle. In control group (n = 20), the men did not receive Ketotifen, while in experiment group (n = 20), the men received oraly ketotifen (1 mg Bid) for 2 months. Semen analysis, under optimal circumferences, was obtained prior to initiation of treatment. The second semen analysis was done 2-3 weeks after stopped ketotifen treatment and sperm motility was defined. Clinical pregnancy was identified as the presence of a fetal sac by vaginal ultrasound examination.

Statistical analysis used: All data are expressed as the mean ± standard error of mean (SEM). t test was used for comparing the data of the control and treated groups.

Results: The mean sperm motility increased significantly (from 16.7% to 21.4%) after ketotifen treatment (P < 0.001). This sperm motility improvement was more pronounced in the primary infertility cases (P < 0.003). The rate of pregnancy was 12.5% in infertile couples that their men receiving 1 mg/twice a day ketotifen. In 52% of infertile men's semen, the percentage of sperm motility was increased from 5% to 35% and this sperm motility improvement was also observed in 33% of necrospermia (0% motility) cases.

Conclusion: These results suggest that ketotifen may represent as a novel therapeutic approach to improve sperm motility in the infertile men with cause of asthenospermia or necrospermia.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

Comparison of sperm motility percent between non-treated (MBT) and treated (MAT) groups in primary and secondary infertility cases
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3713570&req=5

Figure 1: Comparison of sperm motility percent between non-treated (MBT) and treated (MAT) groups in primary and secondary infertility cases

Mentions: Outcome data were available for 100% of couples. None of the couples was lost to follow up [Figure 1]. The two groups were similar except for the date of acceptance of the patients (the seasonal changes) for investigate. The females of the infertile couples were non gravid. The men were aged 23-40 years of mean age 32.8 and the mean duration of infertility among participants was at least 2 years. Twenty-eight cases of the infertile couples (70%) had primary infertility and the remaining 12 (30%) had secondary infertility [Table 1].


Ketotifen, a mast cell blocker improves sperm motility in asthenospermic infertile men.

Saharkhiz N, Nikbakht R, Hemadi M - J Hum Reprod Sci (2013)

Comparison of sperm motility percent between non-treated (MBT) and treated (MAT) groups in primary and secondary infertility cases
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3713570&req=5

Figure 1: Comparison of sperm motility percent between non-treated (MBT) and treated (MAT) groups in primary and secondary infertility cases
Mentions: Outcome data were available for 100% of couples. None of the couples was lost to follow up [Figure 1]. The two groups were similar except for the date of acceptance of the patients (the seasonal changes) for investigate. The females of the infertile couples were non gravid. The men were aged 23-40 years of mean age 32.8 and the mean duration of infertility among participants was at least 2 years. Twenty-eight cases of the infertile couples (70%) had primary infertility and the remaining 12 (30%) had secondary infertility [Table 1].

Bottom Line: In control group (n = 20), the men did not receive Ketotifen, while in experiment group (n = 20), the men received oraly ketotifen (1 mg Bid) for 2 months.Semen analysis, under optimal circumferences, was obtained prior to initiation of treatment.Clinical pregnancy was identified as the presence of a fetal sac by vaginal ultrasound examination.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Infertility and In Vitro Fertilization Center, Taleghani Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.

ABSTRACT

Aim: This study aimed to evaluate the efficacy of ketotifen on sperm motility of asthenospermic infertile men.

Setting and design: It is a prospective study designed in vivo.

Materials and methods: In this interventional experimental study, a total of 40 infertile couples with asthenospermic infertility factor undergoing assisted reproductive technology (ART) cycles were enrolled. The couples were randomly assigned to one of two groups at the starting of the cycle. In control group (n = 20), the men did not receive Ketotifen, while in experiment group (n = 20), the men received oraly ketotifen (1 mg Bid) for 2 months. Semen analysis, under optimal circumferences, was obtained prior to initiation of treatment. The second semen analysis was done 2-3 weeks after stopped ketotifen treatment and sperm motility was defined. Clinical pregnancy was identified as the presence of a fetal sac by vaginal ultrasound examination.

Statistical analysis used: All data are expressed as the mean ± standard error of mean (SEM). t test was used for comparing the data of the control and treated groups.

Results: The mean sperm motility increased significantly (from 16.7% to 21.4%) after ketotifen treatment (P < 0.001). This sperm motility improvement was more pronounced in the primary infertility cases (P < 0.003). The rate of pregnancy was 12.5% in infertile couples that their men receiving 1 mg/twice a day ketotifen. In 52% of infertile men's semen, the percentage of sperm motility was increased from 5% to 35% and this sperm motility improvement was also observed in 33% of necrospermia (0% motility) cases.

Conclusion: These results suggest that ketotifen may represent as a novel therapeutic approach to improve sperm motility in the infertile men with cause of asthenospermia or necrospermia.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus