Limits...
Change of water consumption and its potential influential factors in Shanghai: a cross-sectional study.

Chen H, Zhang Y, Ma L, Liu F, Zheng W, Shen Q, Zhang H, Wei X, Tian D, He G, Qu W - BMC Public Health (2012)

Bottom Line: Basic information was compared with that of a historical survey in the same place in 2001.Self-reported drinking-water-related diarrhoea was found correlated with different water choices and water hygiene treatment using chi-square test.Drinking-water-related diarrhoea was found in all types of water and improper water hygiene behaviours still existed among residents.

View Article: PubMed Central - HTML - PubMed

Affiliation: Key Laboratory of Public Health Safety, Ministry of Education, Department of Environmental Health, School of Public Health, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China.

ABSTRACT

Background: Different water choices affect access to drinking water with different quality. Previous studies suggested social-economic status may affect the choice of domestic drinking water. The aim of this study is to investigate whether recent social economic changes in China affect residents' drinking water choices.

Methods: We conducted a cross-sectional survey to investigate residents' water consumption behaviour in 2011. Gender, age, education, personal income, housing condition, risk perception and personal preference of a certain type of water were selected as potential influential factors. Univariate and backward stepwise logistic regression analyses were performed to analyse the relation between these factors and different drinking water choices. Basic information was compared with that of a historical survey in the same place in 2001. Self-reported drinking-water-related diarrhoea was found correlated with different water choices and water hygiene treatment using chi-square test.

Results: The percentage of tap water consumption remained relatively stable and a preferred choice, with 58.99% in 2001 and 58.25% in 2011. The percentage of bottled/barrelled water consumption was 36.86% in 2001 and decreased to 25.75% in 2011. That of household filtrated water was 4.15% in 2001 and increased to 16.00% in 2011. Logistic regression model showed strong correlation between one's health belief and drinking water choices (P < 0.001). Age, personal income, education, housing condition, risk perception also played important roles (P < 0.05) in the models. Drinking-water-related diarrhoea was found in all types of water and improper water hygiene behaviours still existed among residents.

Conclusions: Personal health belief, housing condition, age, personal income, education, taste and if worm ever founded in tap water affected domestic drinking water choices in Shanghai.

Show MeSH

Related in: MedlinePlus

Change in domestic drinking water choices during past decade. The percentage of tap water use remained relatively stable, with only a 0.74% increase compared with that in 2011. A decrease in barrelled water by around 11.0% and an increase in filtrated water use by 11.85% were found. Information of domestic bottled water use wasn’t gathered in 2001, its percentage in 2011 was 3.25%. Statistical significance were found in difference of filtrated water (P < 0.001) and barrelled/bottled water (P < 0.05).
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3539858&req=5

Figure 1: Change in domestic drinking water choices during past decade. The percentage of tap water use remained relatively stable, with only a 0.74% increase compared with that in 2011. A decrease in barrelled water by around 11.0% and an increase in filtrated water use by 11.85% were found. Information of domestic bottled water use wasn’t gathered in 2001, its percentage in 2011 was 3.25%. Statistical significance were found in difference of filtrated water (P < 0.001) and barrelled/bottled water (P < 0.05).

Mentions: Changes occurred in personal income, living years, tap water satisfactory rate and domestic drinking water choices during the decade. Average annual income was $1218 in 2001, 1/4 of that in 2011. The average living years in present place was 15 years in 2001, while that of 2011 was 18 years, indicating a change in living place and housing condition among residents. Tap water satisfactory rate used to be 41.94% in 2001, 10.31% lower than that of 2011. The percentage of tap water use remained relatively stable, with only a 0.74% increase compared to that in 2011. Bottled water was not listed in 2001-study, therefore, we combined barrelled and bottled water together, and found a decrease by 11.11%. Percentage of household filtrated water use had increased by 11.85% (See Figure 1)


Change of water consumption and its potential influential factors in Shanghai: a cross-sectional study.

Chen H, Zhang Y, Ma L, Liu F, Zheng W, Shen Q, Zhang H, Wei X, Tian D, He G, Qu W - BMC Public Health (2012)

Change in domestic drinking water choices during past decade. The percentage of tap water use remained relatively stable, with only a 0.74% increase compared with that in 2011. A decrease in barrelled water by around 11.0% and an increase in filtrated water use by 11.85% were found. Information of domestic bottled water use wasn’t gathered in 2001, its percentage in 2011 was 3.25%. Statistical significance were found in difference of filtrated water (P < 0.001) and barrelled/bottled water (P < 0.05).
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3539858&req=5

Figure 1: Change in domestic drinking water choices during past decade. The percentage of tap water use remained relatively stable, with only a 0.74% increase compared with that in 2011. A decrease in barrelled water by around 11.0% and an increase in filtrated water use by 11.85% were found. Information of domestic bottled water use wasn’t gathered in 2001, its percentage in 2011 was 3.25%. Statistical significance were found in difference of filtrated water (P < 0.001) and barrelled/bottled water (P < 0.05).
Mentions: Changes occurred in personal income, living years, tap water satisfactory rate and domestic drinking water choices during the decade. Average annual income was $1218 in 2001, 1/4 of that in 2011. The average living years in present place was 15 years in 2001, while that of 2011 was 18 years, indicating a change in living place and housing condition among residents. Tap water satisfactory rate used to be 41.94% in 2001, 10.31% lower than that of 2011. The percentage of tap water use remained relatively stable, with only a 0.74% increase compared to that in 2011. Bottled water was not listed in 2001-study, therefore, we combined barrelled and bottled water together, and found a decrease by 11.11%. Percentage of household filtrated water use had increased by 11.85% (See Figure 1)

Bottom Line: Basic information was compared with that of a historical survey in the same place in 2001.Self-reported drinking-water-related diarrhoea was found correlated with different water choices and water hygiene treatment using chi-square test.Drinking-water-related diarrhoea was found in all types of water and improper water hygiene behaviours still existed among residents.

View Article: PubMed Central - HTML - PubMed

Affiliation: Key Laboratory of Public Health Safety, Ministry of Education, Department of Environmental Health, School of Public Health, Fudan University, Shanghai 200032, China.

ABSTRACT

Background: Different water choices affect access to drinking water with different quality. Previous studies suggested social-economic status may affect the choice of domestic drinking water. The aim of this study is to investigate whether recent social economic changes in China affect residents' drinking water choices.

Methods: We conducted a cross-sectional survey to investigate residents' water consumption behaviour in 2011. Gender, age, education, personal income, housing condition, risk perception and personal preference of a certain type of water were selected as potential influential factors. Univariate and backward stepwise logistic regression analyses were performed to analyse the relation between these factors and different drinking water choices. Basic information was compared with that of a historical survey in the same place in 2001. Self-reported drinking-water-related diarrhoea was found correlated with different water choices and water hygiene treatment using chi-square test.

Results: The percentage of tap water consumption remained relatively stable and a preferred choice, with 58.99% in 2001 and 58.25% in 2011. The percentage of bottled/barrelled water consumption was 36.86% in 2001 and decreased to 25.75% in 2011. That of household filtrated water was 4.15% in 2001 and increased to 16.00% in 2011. Logistic regression model showed strong correlation between one's health belief and drinking water choices (P < 0.001). Age, personal income, education, housing condition, risk perception also played important roles (P < 0.05) in the models. Drinking-water-related diarrhoea was found in all types of water and improper water hygiene behaviours still existed among residents.

Conclusions: Personal health belief, housing condition, age, personal income, education, taste and if worm ever founded in tap water affected domestic drinking water choices in Shanghai.

Show MeSH
Related in: MedlinePlus