Limits...
Electric field induced fluorescence modulation of single molecules in PMMA based on electron transfer.

Chen R, Gao Y, Zhang G, Wu R, Xiao L, Jia S - Int J Mol Sci (2012)

Bottom Line: We present a method to modulate the fluorescence of non-polar single squaraine-derived rotaxanes molecules embedded in a polar poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) matrix under an external electric field.The electron transfer between single molecules and the electron acceptors in a PMMA matrix contributes to the diverse responses of fluorescence intensities to the electric field.The observed instantaneous and non-instantaneous electric field dependence of single-molecule fluorescence reflects the redistribution of electron acceptors in PMMA induced by electronic polarization and orientation polarization of polar polymer chains in an electric field.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: State Key Laboratory of Quantum Optics and Quantum Optics Devices, Laser Spectroscopy Laboratory, Shanxi University, Taiyuan 030006, China; E-Mails: chenry421@163.com (R.C.); ggnnool@163.com (Y.G.); gfzhang@mail.sxu.cn (G.Z.); Wurx464628021@163.com (R.W.); tjia@sxu.edu.cn (S.J.).

ABSTRACT
We present a method to modulate the fluorescence of non-polar single squaraine-derived rotaxanes molecules embedded in a polar poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) matrix under an external electric field. The electron transfer between single molecules and the electron acceptors in a PMMA matrix contributes to the diverse responses of fluorescence intensities to the electric field. The observed instantaneous and non-instantaneous electric field dependence of single-molecule fluorescence reflects the redistribution of electron acceptors in PMMA induced by electronic polarization and orientation polarization of polar polymer chains in an electric field.

Show MeSH

Related in: MedlinePlus

Diverse fluorescence response of single squaraine-derived rotaxane (SR) molecules in PMMA matrix as a function of time at an electric field (EF) of 0.75 MV/cm.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License 1 - License 2
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3472734&req=5

f1-ijms-13-11130: Diverse fluorescence response of single squaraine-derived rotaxane (SR) molecules in PMMA matrix as a function of time at an electric field (EF) of 0.75 MV/cm.

Mentions: A square alternating voltage is applied to two neighboring arms of the electrodes where the single molecules are dispersed, which yields an EF of 0.75 MV/cm. We measured the fluorescence time traces of 147 single molecules, with sufficient observation time and adequate signal-to-noise ratio. Figure 1a,c shows that fluorescence of some single molecules is quenched when EF is applied. The probability of EF-induced fluorescence quenching is approximately 31%. Figure 1b,d shows that fluorescence of some molecules is enhanced when EF is applied. The probability of EF-induced fluorescence enhancement is nearly 26%. However, about 43% of the molecules measured did not show obvious enhancement or quenching when EF was applied (not shown).


Electric field induced fluorescence modulation of single molecules in PMMA based on electron transfer.

Chen R, Gao Y, Zhang G, Wu R, Xiao L, Jia S - Int J Mol Sci (2012)

Diverse fluorescence response of single squaraine-derived rotaxane (SR) molecules in PMMA matrix as a function of time at an electric field (EF) of 0.75 MV/cm.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License 1 - License 2
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3472734&req=5

f1-ijms-13-11130: Diverse fluorescence response of single squaraine-derived rotaxane (SR) molecules in PMMA matrix as a function of time at an electric field (EF) of 0.75 MV/cm.
Mentions: A square alternating voltage is applied to two neighboring arms of the electrodes where the single molecules are dispersed, which yields an EF of 0.75 MV/cm. We measured the fluorescence time traces of 147 single molecules, with sufficient observation time and adequate signal-to-noise ratio. Figure 1a,c shows that fluorescence of some single molecules is quenched when EF is applied. The probability of EF-induced fluorescence quenching is approximately 31%. Figure 1b,d shows that fluorescence of some molecules is enhanced when EF is applied. The probability of EF-induced fluorescence enhancement is nearly 26%. However, about 43% of the molecules measured did not show obvious enhancement or quenching when EF was applied (not shown).

Bottom Line: We present a method to modulate the fluorescence of non-polar single squaraine-derived rotaxanes molecules embedded in a polar poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) matrix under an external electric field.The electron transfer between single molecules and the electron acceptors in a PMMA matrix contributes to the diverse responses of fluorescence intensities to the electric field.The observed instantaneous and non-instantaneous electric field dependence of single-molecule fluorescence reflects the redistribution of electron acceptors in PMMA induced by electronic polarization and orientation polarization of polar polymer chains in an electric field.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: State Key Laboratory of Quantum Optics and Quantum Optics Devices, Laser Spectroscopy Laboratory, Shanxi University, Taiyuan 030006, China; E-Mails: chenry421@163.com (R.C.); ggnnool@163.com (Y.G.); gfzhang@mail.sxu.cn (G.Z.); Wurx464628021@163.com (R.W.); tjia@sxu.edu.cn (S.J.).

ABSTRACT
We present a method to modulate the fluorescence of non-polar single squaraine-derived rotaxanes molecules embedded in a polar poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) matrix under an external electric field. The electron transfer between single molecules and the electron acceptors in a PMMA matrix contributes to the diverse responses of fluorescence intensities to the electric field. The observed instantaneous and non-instantaneous electric field dependence of single-molecule fluorescence reflects the redistribution of electron acceptors in PMMA induced by electronic polarization and orientation polarization of polar polymer chains in an electric field.

Show MeSH
Related in: MedlinePlus