Limits...
Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and long-term outcomes of a major outbreak of chikungunya in a hamlet in sri lanka, in 2007: a longitudinal cohort study.

Kularatne SA, Weerasinghe SC, Gihan C, Wickramasinghe S, Dharmarathne S, Abeyrathna A, Jayalath T - J Trop Med (2012)

Bottom Line: Of the CAD patients, 102 (44%) had recovered in 141 days (range 30-210 days) from the disability state whilst 128 (56%) had persisting disability which lasted 12, 24, and 36 months in 41 (17.8%), 22 (9.5%), and 14 (6.1%) individuals, respectively.Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) manifested in 110 (21%).Females showed preponderance for complications over males: acute arthritis 147 versus 86, P = 0.001; CAD 136 versus 84, P = 0.029; CTS 88 versus 22, P = 0.001; relapses 105 versus 68, P = 0.001.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya, 20400, Sri Lanka.

ABSTRACT
Chikungunya outbreaks occurred in the central province, Sri Lanka in 2006. This community-based study reports the epidemiology and the natural history of the infection from an affected village. Of the 199 families and 1001 individuals in the village, 159 (80%) and 513 (51%) were affected, respectively, comprising 237 (46%) males with peak incidence at 40-50 years. The acute illness caused polyarthritis in 233 (46%), and of them 230 (98%) progressed to chronic arthritic disability (CAD). Of the CAD patients, 102 (44%) had recovered in 141 days (range 30-210 days) from the disability state whilst 128 (56%) had persisting disability which lasted 12, 24, and 36 months in 41 (17.8%), 22 (9.5%), and 14 (6.1%) individuals, respectively. Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) manifested in 110 (21%). Females showed preponderance for complications over males: acute arthritis 147 versus 86, P = 0.001; CAD 136 versus 84, P = 0.029; CTS 88 versus 22, P = 0.001; relapses 105 versus 68, P = 0.001. Chikungunya was highly communicable and caused lasting crippling complications.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus

Temporal relationship of chikungunya incidence in Madige.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection


getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3306924&req=5

fig1: Temporal relationship of chikungunya incidence in Madige.

Mentions: Of the 1832 individuals interviewed in the study, 1001 (55%) were from Galagedara-Madige (study village), and the rest 831 (45%) were from the neighboring villages of Galagedara-Madige (Control group). Of the 1001 individuals of Madige, 513 (51%) were infected with chikungunya compared to 47 (6%) cases in the control group (P = 0.000)  during the outbreak of chikungunya in the region from October 2006 to May 2007. The incidence of cases had peaked during December 2006 to January 2007 in the study village Madige (Figure 1).


Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and long-term outcomes of a major outbreak of chikungunya in a hamlet in sri lanka, in 2007: a longitudinal cohort study.

Kularatne SA, Weerasinghe SC, Gihan C, Wickramasinghe S, Dharmarathne S, Abeyrathna A, Jayalath T - J Trop Med (2012)

Temporal relationship of chikungunya incidence in Madige.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3306924&req=5

fig1: Temporal relationship of chikungunya incidence in Madige.
Mentions: Of the 1832 individuals interviewed in the study, 1001 (55%) were from Galagedara-Madige (study village), and the rest 831 (45%) were from the neighboring villages of Galagedara-Madige (Control group). Of the 1001 individuals of Madige, 513 (51%) were infected with chikungunya compared to 47 (6%) cases in the control group (P = 0.000)  during the outbreak of chikungunya in the region from October 2006 to May 2007. The incidence of cases had peaked during December 2006 to January 2007 in the study village Madige (Figure 1).

Bottom Line: Of the CAD patients, 102 (44%) had recovered in 141 days (range 30-210 days) from the disability state whilst 128 (56%) had persisting disability which lasted 12, 24, and 36 months in 41 (17.8%), 22 (9.5%), and 14 (6.1%) individuals, respectively.Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) manifested in 110 (21%).Females showed preponderance for complications over males: acute arthritis 147 versus 86, P = 0.001; CAD 136 versus 84, P = 0.029; CTS 88 versus 22, P = 0.001; relapses 105 versus 68, P = 0.001.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya, 20400, Sri Lanka.

ABSTRACT
Chikungunya outbreaks occurred in the central province, Sri Lanka in 2006. This community-based study reports the epidemiology and the natural history of the infection from an affected village. Of the 199 families and 1001 individuals in the village, 159 (80%) and 513 (51%) were affected, respectively, comprising 237 (46%) males with peak incidence at 40-50 years. The acute illness caused polyarthritis in 233 (46%), and of them 230 (98%) progressed to chronic arthritic disability (CAD). Of the CAD patients, 102 (44%) had recovered in 141 days (range 30-210 days) from the disability state whilst 128 (56%) had persisting disability which lasted 12, 24, and 36 months in 41 (17.8%), 22 (9.5%), and 14 (6.1%) individuals, respectively. Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) manifested in 110 (21%). Females showed preponderance for complications over males: acute arthritis 147 versus 86, P = 0.001; CAD 136 versus 84, P = 0.029; CTS 88 versus 22, P = 0.001; relapses 105 versus 68, P = 0.001. Chikungunya was highly communicable and caused lasting crippling complications.

No MeSH data available.


Related in: MedlinePlus