Limits...
History of the Department of Cell Biology at Yale School of Medicine, 1813-2010.

Lentz TL - Yale J Biol Med (2011)

Bottom Line: Cell Biology at Yale had its origins in the Department of Anatomy that existed from the beginning of classes at the Medical Institution of Yale College in 1813.The formation and development of the Section and Department of Cell Biology in the second half of the 20th century to the present time are described.Biographies and research activities of the chairs and key faculty in anatomy and cell biology are provided.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Cell Biology, Yale School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520-8002, USA. thomas.lentz@yale.edu

ABSTRACT
The Department of Cell Biology at the Yale University School of Medicine was established in 1983. It was preceded by the Section of Cell Biology, which was formed in 1973 when George E. Palade and collaborators came to Yale from the Rockefeller University. Cell Biology at Yale had its origins in the Department of Anatomy that existed from the beginning of classes at the Medical Institution of Yale College in 1813. This article reviews the history of the Department of Anatomy at Yale and its evolution into Cell Biology that began with the introduction of histology into the curriculum in the 1860s. The formation and development of the Section and Department of Cell Biology in the second half of the 20th century to the present time are described. Biographies and research activities of the chairs and key faculty in anatomy and cell biology are provided.

Show MeSH
Microscopical Laboratory. Laboratory in Medical Hall with microscopes on benches, 150 York Street, c1893.
© Copyright Policy - open access
Related In: Results  -  Collection


getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3117420&req=5

Figure 4: Microscopical Laboratory. Laboratory in Medical Hall with microscopes on benches, 150 York Street, c1893.

Mentions: Robert O. Moody was Instructor in Histology from 1891 to 1893 and received his MD degree from Yale in 1894. Harry Burr Ferris began teaching histology in 1892. The microscopical laboratory in the Medical Hall at 150 York Street (Figure 4) was described in 1893 [11] as “a room measuring fifty feet by twenty-five feet, is well lighted with north and west light, and thoroughly equipped with microscopes, students’ lockers, work tables, and every facility for satisfactory instruction in normal and pathological histology. The microscopical laboratory is supplied with an excellent set of microscopes, and with microtomes and other laboratory requisites for the best work. Each student is provided with a locker and a set of reagents and apparatus for his own use. There is a large cabinet of sections which may be drawn upon for illustrations and for special work, and also a large collection of photographs and transparencies made from plates and photomicrographs of tissues.”


History of the Department of Cell Biology at Yale School of Medicine, 1813-2010.

Lentz TL - Yale J Biol Med (2011)

Microscopical Laboratory. Laboratory in Medical Hall with microscopes on benches, 150 York Street, c1893.
© Copyright Policy - open access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3117420&req=5

Figure 4: Microscopical Laboratory. Laboratory in Medical Hall with microscopes on benches, 150 York Street, c1893.
Mentions: Robert O. Moody was Instructor in Histology from 1891 to 1893 and received his MD degree from Yale in 1894. Harry Burr Ferris began teaching histology in 1892. The microscopical laboratory in the Medical Hall at 150 York Street (Figure 4) was described in 1893 [11] as “a room measuring fifty feet by twenty-five feet, is well lighted with north and west light, and thoroughly equipped with microscopes, students’ lockers, work tables, and every facility for satisfactory instruction in normal and pathological histology. The microscopical laboratory is supplied with an excellent set of microscopes, and with microtomes and other laboratory requisites for the best work. Each student is provided with a locker and a set of reagents and apparatus for his own use. There is a large cabinet of sections which may be drawn upon for illustrations and for special work, and also a large collection of photographs and transparencies made from plates and photomicrographs of tissues.”

Bottom Line: Cell Biology at Yale had its origins in the Department of Anatomy that existed from the beginning of classes at the Medical Institution of Yale College in 1813.The formation and development of the Section and Department of Cell Biology in the second half of the 20th century to the present time are described.Biographies and research activities of the chairs and key faculty in anatomy and cell biology are provided.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Cell Biology, Yale School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520-8002, USA. thomas.lentz@yale.edu

ABSTRACT
The Department of Cell Biology at the Yale University School of Medicine was established in 1983. It was preceded by the Section of Cell Biology, which was formed in 1973 when George E. Palade and collaborators came to Yale from the Rockefeller University. Cell Biology at Yale had its origins in the Department of Anatomy that existed from the beginning of classes at the Medical Institution of Yale College in 1813. This article reviews the history of the Department of Anatomy at Yale and its evolution into Cell Biology that began with the introduction of histology into the curriculum in the 1860s. The formation and development of the Section and Department of Cell Biology in the second half of the 20th century to the present time are described. Biographies and research activities of the chairs and key faculty in anatomy and cell biology are provided.

Show MeSH