Limits...
International stem cell collaboration: how disparate policies between the United States and the United Kingdom impact research.

Luo J, Flynn JM, Solnick RE, Ecklund EH, Matthews KR - PLoS ONE (2011)

Bottom Line: Thus, studying international collaborations in stem cell research elucidates the role of existing international networks in promoting quality research, as well as the effects that disparate national policies might have on research.While this applied to UK authors whether they were corresponding or secondary, this effect was most significant for US authors who were corresponding authors.The findings suggested that national stem cell policy differences and regulatory mechanisms driving international stem cell research in the US and UK did not affect the frequency of international collaborations, or even the countries with which the US and UK most often collaborated.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Science and Technology Policy Program, James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy, Rice University, Houston, Texas, United States of America.

ABSTRACT
As the scientific community globalizes, it is increasingly important to understand the effects of international collaboration on the quality and quantity of research produced. While it is generally assumed that international collaboration enhances the quality of research, this phenomenon is not well examined. Stem cell research is unique in that it is both politically charged and a research area that often generates international collaborations, making it an ideal case through which to examine international collaborations. Furthermore, with promising medical applications, the research area is dynamic and responsive to a globalizing science environment. Thus, studying international collaborations in stem cell research elucidates the role of existing international networks in promoting quality research, as well as the effects that disparate national policies might have on research. This study examined the impact of collaboration on publication significance in the United States and the United Kingdom, world leaders in stem cell research with disparate policies. We reviewed publications by US and UK authors from 2008, along with their citation rates and the political factors that may have contributed to the number of international collaborations. The data demonstrated that international collaborations significantly increased an article's impact for UK and US investigators. While this applied to UK authors whether they were corresponding or secondary, this effect was most significant for US authors who were corresponding authors. While the UK exhibited a higher proportion of international publications than the US, this difference was consistent with overall trends in international scientific collaboration. The findings suggested that national stem cell policy differences and regulatory mechanisms driving international stem cell research in the US and UK did not affect the frequency of international collaborations, or even the countries with which the US and UK most often collaborated. Geographical and traditional collaborative relationships were the predominate considerations in establishing international collaborations.

Show MeSH
Collaborative status of UK articles.Of the 616 articles pulled for the UK, 18.8% (116) were international-corresponding (Intl-C), 34.4% (212) were international-secondary (Intl-S), 46.8% (288) were independent (Indep).
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection


getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3050923&req=5

pone-0017684-g003: Collaborative status of UK articles.Of the 616 articles pulled for the UK, 18.8% (116) were international-corresponding (Intl-C), 34.4% (212) were international-secondary (Intl-S), 46.8% (288) were independent (Indep).

Mentions: The collaboration rates for these publications were subsequently investigated. Proportionally, the UK engaged in appreciably more collaborative research in both a corresponding and secondary capacity—18.8% and 34.4% (total 53.2%), respectively, compared with 15.5 and 11.5% (total 27.1%) for the US (Figures 2 and 3). The data is consistent with overall trends in collaborations which show the US collaboration rates in all sciences (including engineering and social science research) at 30% and the UK at 49% [1].


International stem cell collaboration: how disparate policies between the United States and the United Kingdom impact research.

Luo J, Flynn JM, Solnick RE, Ecklund EH, Matthews KR - PLoS ONE (2011)

Collaborative status of UK articles.Of the 616 articles pulled for the UK, 18.8% (116) were international-corresponding (Intl-C), 34.4% (212) were international-secondary (Intl-S), 46.8% (288) were independent (Indep).
© Copyright Policy
Related In: Results  -  Collection

Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC3050923&req=5

pone-0017684-g003: Collaborative status of UK articles.Of the 616 articles pulled for the UK, 18.8% (116) were international-corresponding (Intl-C), 34.4% (212) were international-secondary (Intl-S), 46.8% (288) were independent (Indep).
Mentions: The collaboration rates for these publications were subsequently investigated. Proportionally, the UK engaged in appreciably more collaborative research in both a corresponding and secondary capacity—18.8% and 34.4% (total 53.2%), respectively, compared with 15.5 and 11.5% (total 27.1%) for the US (Figures 2 and 3). The data is consistent with overall trends in collaborations which show the US collaboration rates in all sciences (including engineering and social science research) at 30% and the UK at 49% [1].

Bottom Line: Thus, studying international collaborations in stem cell research elucidates the role of existing international networks in promoting quality research, as well as the effects that disparate national policies might have on research.While this applied to UK authors whether they were corresponding or secondary, this effect was most significant for US authors who were corresponding authors.The findings suggested that national stem cell policy differences and regulatory mechanisms driving international stem cell research in the US and UK did not affect the frequency of international collaborations, or even the countries with which the US and UK most often collaborated.

View Article: PubMed Central - PubMed

Affiliation: Science and Technology Policy Program, James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy, Rice University, Houston, Texas, United States of America.

ABSTRACT
As the scientific community globalizes, it is increasingly important to understand the effects of international collaboration on the quality and quantity of research produced. While it is generally assumed that international collaboration enhances the quality of research, this phenomenon is not well examined. Stem cell research is unique in that it is both politically charged and a research area that often generates international collaborations, making it an ideal case through which to examine international collaborations. Furthermore, with promising medical applications, the research area is dynamic and responsive to a globalizing science environment. Thus, studying international collaborations in stem cell research elucidates the role of existing international networks in promoting quality research, as well as the effects that disparate national policies might have on research. This study examined the impact of collaboration on publication significance in the United States and the United Kingdom, world leaders in stem cell research with disparate policies. We reviewed publications by US and UK authors from 2008, along with their citation rates and the political factors that may have contributed to the number of international collaborations. The data demonstrated that international collaborations significantly increased an article's impact for UK and US investigators. While this applied to UK authors whether they were corresponding or secondary, this effect was most significant for US authors who were corresponding authors. While the UK exhibited a higher proportion of international publications than the US, this difference was consistent with overall trends in international scientific collaboration. The findings suggested that national stem cell policy differences and regulatory mechanisms driving international stem cell research in the US and UK did not affect the frequency of international collaborations, or even the countries with which the US and UK most often collaborated. Geographical and traditional collaborative relationships were the predominate considerations in establishing international collaborations.

Show MeSH