Limits...
Differential transcript expression between the microfilariae of the filarial nematodes, Brugia malayi and B. pahangi.

Kariuki MM, Hearne LB, Beerntsen BT - BMC Genomics (2010)

Bottom Line: In B. pahangi, there were 76 (62%) up-regulated transcripts that coded for known proteins that mapped into the KEGG pathway compared to 61 (57%) transcripts in B. malayi microfilariae.Twenty-seven of the transcripts in B. pahangi microfilariae coded for proteins that associate with the secretory pathway compared to thirty-nine in B. malayi microfilariae.These comparative transcriptome data will be of interest to researchers keen on understanding the inherent differences, at the molecular level, between B. malayi and B. pahangi microfilariae especially because these microfilariae are capable of surviving in the same vertebrate host but elicit different immune response outcomes in the mosquito, Ar. subalbatus.

View Article: PubMed Central - HTML - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA.

ABSTRACT

Background: Brugia malayi and B. pahangi are two closely related nematodes that cause filariasis in humans and animals. However, B. pahangi microfilariae are able to develop in and be transmitted by the mosquito, Armigeres subalbatus, whereas most B. malayi are rapidly melanized and destroyed within the mosquito hemocoel. A cross-species microarray analysis employing the B. malayi V2 array was carried out to determine the transcriptional differences between B. malayi and B. pahangi microfilariae with similar age distribution.

Results: Following microarray data analysis, a list of preferentially expressed genes in both microfilariae species was generated with a false discovery rate estimate of 5% and a signal intensity ratio of 2 or higher in either species. A total of 308 probes were preferentially expressed in both species with 149 probes, representing 123 genes, in B. pahangi microfilariae and 159 probes, representing 107 genes, in B. malayi microfilariae. In B. pahangi, there were 76 (62%) up-regulated transcripts that coded for known proteins that mapped into the KEGG pathway compared to 61 (57%) transcripts in B. malayi microfilariae. The remaining 47 (38%) transcripts in B. pahangi and 46 (43%) transcripts in B. malayi microfilariae were comprised almost entirely of hypothetical genes of unknown function. Twenty-seven of the transcripts in B. pahangi microfilariae coded for proteins that associate with the secretory pathway compared to thirty-nine in B. malayi microfilariae. The data obtained from real-time PCR analysis of ten genes selected from the microarray list of preferentially expressed genes showed good concordance with the microarray data, indicating that the microarray data were reproducible.

Conclusion: In this study, we identified gene transcripts that were preferentially expressed in the microfilariae of B. pahangi and B. malayi, some of which coded for known immunomodulatory proteins. These comparative transcriptome data will be of interest to researchers keen on understanding the inherent differences, at the molecular level, between B. malayi and B. pahangi microfilariae especially because these microfilariae are capable of surviving in the same vertebrate host but elicit different immune response outcomes in the mosquito, Ar. subalbatus.

Show MeSH

Related in: MedlinePlus

KEGG pathway classification of preferentially expressed genes in B. pahangi and B. malayi microfilariae. The genes that were classified as up-regulated in either species were manually mapped into the KEGG pathway groups. Cellular; Cellular Processes, Environmental; Environmental Information Processing, Genetic; Genetic Information Processing.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC2874553&req=5

Figure 2: KEGG pathway classification of preferentially expressed genes in B. pahangi and B. malayi microfilariae. The genes that were classified as up-regulated in either species were manually mapped into the KEGG pathway groups. Cellular; Cellular Processes, Environmental; Environmental Information Processing, Genetic; Genetic Information Processing.

Mentions: Of the 107 gene transcripts preferentially up-regulated in B. malayi microfilariae, 61 (57%) of them coded for known proteins that mapped into KEGG pathways and the remaining 46 (43%) transcripts encoded mostly hypothetical proteins of unknown function. Of the 61 known genes, there were 9 genes involved in cellular processes, 6 genes in environmental information processes, 38 genes in genetic information processing and 8 genes in metabolism (Additional File 2). A comparison of the preferential expressed gene transcripts in both B. pahangi and B. malayi based upon their overall KEGG pathway association is shown in Figure 2.


Differential transcript expression between the microfilariae of the filarial nematodes, Brugia malayi and B. pahangi.

Kariuki MM, Hearne LB, Beerntsen BT - BMC Genomics (2010)

KEGG pathway classification of preferentially expressed genes in B. pahangi and B. malayi microfilariae. The genes that were classified as up-regulated in either species were manually mapped into the KEGG pathway groups. Cellular; Cellular Processes, Environmental; Environmental Information Processing, Genetic; Genetic Information Processing.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC2874553&req=5

Figure 2: KEGG pathway classification of preferentially expressed genes in B. pahangi and B. malayi microfilariae. The genes that were classified as up-regulated in either species were manually mapped into the KEGG pathway groups. Cellular; Cellular Processes, Environmental; Environmental Information Processing, Genetic; Genetic Information Processing.
Mentions: Of the 107 gene transcripts preferentially up-regulated in B. malayi microfilariae, 61 (57%) of them coded for known proteins that mapped into KEGG pathways and the remaining 46 (43%) transcripts encoded mostly hypothetical proteins of unknown function. Of the 61 known genes, there were 9 genes involved in cellular processes, 6 genes in environmental information processes, 38 genes in genetic information processing and 8 genes in metabolism (Additional File 2). A comparison of the preferential expressed gene transcripts in both B. pahangi and B. malayi based upon their overall KEGG pathway association is shown in Figure 2.

Bottom Line: In B. pahangi, there were 76 (62%) up-regulated transcripts that coded for known proteins that mapped into the KEGG pathway compared to 61 (57%) transcripts in B. malayi microfilariae.Twenty-seven of the transcripts in B. pahangi microfilariae coded for proteins that associate with the secretory pathway compared to thirty-nine in B. malayi microfilariae.These comparative transcriptome data will be of interest to researchers keen on understanding the inherent differences, at the molecular level, between B. malayi and B. pahangi microfilariae especially because these microfilariae are capable of surviving in the same vertebrate host but elicit different immune response outcomes in the mosquito, Ar. subalbatus.

View Article: PubMed Central - HTML - PubMed

Affiliation: Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA.

ABSTRACT

Background: Brugia malayi and B. pahangi are two closely related nematodes that cause filariasis in humans and animals. However, B. pahangi microfilariae are able to develop in and be transmitted by the mosquito, Armigeres subalbatus, whereas most B. malayi are rapidly melanized and destroyed within the mosquito hemocoel. A cross-species microarray analysis employing the B. malayi V2 array was carried out to determine the transcriptional differences between B. malayi and B. pahangi microfilariae with similar age distribution.

Results: Following microarray data analysis, a list of preferentially expressed genes in both microfilariae species was generated with a false discovery rate estimate of 5% and a signal intensity ratio of 2 or higher in either species. A total of 308 probes were preferentially expressed in both species with 149 probes, representing 123 genes, in B. pahangi microfilariae and 159 probes, representing 107 genes, in B. malayi microfilariae. In B. pahangi, there were 76 (62%) up-regulated transcripts that coded for known proteins that mapped into the KEGG pathway compared to 61 (57%) transcripts in B. malayi microfilariae. The remaining 47 (38%) transcripts in B. pahangi and 46 (43%) transcripts in B. malayi microfilariae were comprised almost entirely of hypothetical genes of unknown function. Twenty-seven of the transcripts in B. pahangi microfilariae coded for proteins that associate with the secretory pathway compared to thirty-nine in B. malayi microfilariae. The data obtained from real-time PCR analysis of ten genes selected from the microarray list of preferentially expressed genes showed good concordance with the microarray data, indicating that the microarray data were reproducible.

Conclusion: In this study, we identified gene transcripts that were preferentially expressed in the microfilariae of B. pahangi and B. malayi, some of which coded for known immunomodulatory proteins. These comparative transcriptome data will be of interest to researchers keen on understanding the inherent differences, at the molecular level, between B. malayi and B. pahangi microfilariae especially because these microfilariae are capable of surviving in the same vertebrate host but elicit different immune response outcomes in the mosquito, Ar. subalbatus.

Show MeSH
Related in: MedlinePlus