Limits...
Volumizing effects of a smooth, highly cohesive, viscous 20-mg/mL hyaluronic acid volumizing filler: prospective European study.

Hoffmann K, Juvéderm Voluma Study Investigators Gro - BMC Dermatol. (2009)

Bottom Line: Facial volume loss contributes significantly to facial aging.Procedural details, aesthetic outcomes, safety, and physician and patient ratings of their experience were recorded.The 20-mg/mL smooth, highly cohesive, viscous, volumizing HA filler was effective, well tolerated, and easy to use in current clinical practice.

View Article: PubMed Central - HTML - PubMed

Affiliation: Ruhr-University Bochum, St, Josef Hospital, Bochum, Germany. K.Hoffmann@derma.de

ABSTRACT

Background: Facial volume loss contributes significantly to facial aging. The 20-mg/mL hyaluronic acid (HA) formulation used in this study is a smooth, highly cohesive, viscous, fully reversible, volumizing filler indicated to restore facial volume. This first prospective study evaluated use in current aesthetic clinical practice.

Methods: A pan-European evaluation conducted under guidelines of the World Association of Opinion and Marketing Research, the trial comprised a baseline visit (visit 1) and a follow-up (visit 2) at 14 +/- 7 days posttreatment. Physicians photographed patients at each visit. Each patient was treated with the 20-mg/mL HA volumizing filler as supplied in standard packaging. Procedural details, aesthetic outcomes, safety, and physician and patient ratings of their experience were recorded.

Results: Fifteen physicians and 70 patients (91% female; mean age: 50 years) participated. Mean volume loss at baseline was 3.7 (moderate) on the Facial Volume Loss Scale. Local anesthesia was used in 64.3% of cases. Most injections (85%) were administered with needles rather than cannulas. Of the 208 injections, 59% were in the malar region, primarily above the periosteum. Subcutaneous injections were most common for other sites. The mean total injection volume per patient was 4.6 mL. The mean volume loss score declined significantly (P < .001) to 2.1 at visit 2. On the Global Aesthetic Improvement Scale, 88% and 76% of the treatments were rated very much improved or much improved by physicians and patients, respectively. Of the physicians, 95.6% rated this HA filler as very or fairly easy to use. Similarly, 92% of patients were very likely or quite likely to return for treatment; nearly all (98%) would recommend this treatment to friends. Transient (mean duration: 5.5 days) injection-site adverse events (AEs) occurred in 24 patients. Bruising was the most common AE.

Conclusion: The 20-mg/mL smooth, highly cohesive, viscous, volumizing HA filler was effective, well tolerated, and easy to use in current clinical practice. Participants were very likely to recommend this product to colleagues and friends, and patients would be very or quite likely to request this product for future treatments.

Show MeSH

Related in: MedlinePlus

Physician and patient ratings on the Global Aesthetic Improvement Scale.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC2749012&req=5

Figure 3: Physician and patient ratings on the Global Aesthetic Improvement Scale.

Mentions: Investigators rated improvement on the GAIS for 68 patients; 88% were rated as very much or much improved, and the remaining patients (12%) were rated as improved (Figure 3). Of the 70 patients, 76% rated themselves as very much or much improved (Figure 3). Only one patient noted no change in appearance. Thus 99% of the patients rated themselves as improved. Figure 4 illustrates changes in appearance of a typical patient.


Volumizing effects of a smooth, highly cohesive, viscous 20-mg/mL hyaluronic acid volumizing filler: prospective European study.

Hoffmann K, Juvéderm Voluma Study Investigators Gro - BMC Dermatol. (2009)

Physician and patient ratings on the Global Aesthetic Improvement Scale.
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC2749012&req=5

Figure 3: Physician and patient ratings on the Global Aesthetic Improvement Scale.
Mentions: Investigators rated improvement on the GAIS for 68 patients; 88% were rated as very much or much improved, and the remaining patients (12%) were rated as improved (Figure 3). Of the 70 patients, 76% rated themselves as very much or much improved (Figure 3). Only one patient noted no change in appearance. Thus 99% of the patients rated themselves as improved. Figure 4 illustrates changes in appearance of a typical patient.

Bottom Line: Facial volume loss contributes significantly to facial aging.Procedural details, aesthetic outcomes, safety, and physician and patient ratings of their experience were recorded.The 20-mg/mL smooth, highly cohesive, viscous, volumizing HA filler was effective, well tolerated, and easy to use in current clinical practice.

View Article: PubMed Central - HTML - PubMed

Affiliation: Ruhr-University Bochum, St, Josef Hospital, Bochum, Germany. K.Hoffmann@derma.de

ABSTRACT

Background: Facial volume loss contributes significantly to facial aging. The 20-mg/mL hyaluronic acid (HA) formulation used in this study is a smooth, highly cohesive, viscous, fully reversible, volumizing filler indicated to restore facial volume. This first prospective study evaluated use in current aesthetic clinical practice.

Methods: A pan-European evaluation conducted under guidelines of the World Association of Opinion and Marketing Research, the trial comprised a baseline visit (visit 1) and a follow-up (visit 2) at 14 +/- 7 days posttreatment. Physicians photographed patients at each visit. Each patient was treated with the 20-mg/mL HA volumizing filler as supplied in standard packaging. Procedural details, aesthetic outcomes, safety, and physician and patient ratings of their experience were recorded.

Results: Fifteen physicians and 70 patients (91% female; mean age: 50 years) participated. Mean volume loss at baseline was 3.7 (moderate) on the Facial Volume Loss Scale. Local anesthesia was used in 64.3% of cases. Most injections (85%) were administered with needles rather than cannulas. Of the 208 injections, 59% were in the malar region, primarily above the periosteum. Subcutaneous injections were most common for other sites. The mean total injection volume per patient was 4.6 mL. The mean volume loss score declined significantly (P < .001) to 2.1 at visit 2. On the Global Aesthetic Improvement Scale, 88% and 76% of the treatments were rated very much improved or much improved by physicians and patients, respectively. Of the physicians, 95.6% rated this HA filler as very or fairly easy to use. Similarly, 92% of patients were very likely or quite likely to return for treatment; nearly all (98%) would recommend this treatment to friends. Transient (mean duration: 5.5 days) injection-site adverse events (AEs) occurred in 24 patients. Bruising was the most common AE.

Conclusion: The 20-mg/mL smooth, highly cohesive, viscous, volumizing HA filler was effective, well tolerated, and easy to use in current clinical practice. Participants were very likely to recommend this product to colleagues and friends, and patients would be very or quite likely to request this product for future treatments.

Show MeSH
Related in: MedlinePlus