Limits...
Anti-microbial activities of pomegranate rind extracts: enhancement by cupric sulphate against clinical isolates of S. aureus, MRSA and PVL positive CA-MSSA.

Gould SW, Fielder MD, Kelly AF, Naughton DP - BMC Complement Altern Med (2009)

Bottom Line: This was enhanced by the addition of PRE to 104 log10 cfu mL-1 reduction in growth being observed in 80% of the isolates.The results of this study indicate that further investigation into the active ingredients of natural products, their mode of action and potential synergism with other antimicrobial agents is warranted.This is the first report of the efficacy of pomegranate against clinical PVL positive CA-MSSA isolates.

View Article: PubMed Central - HTML - PubMed

Affiliation: School of Life Sciences, Kingston University, Kingston upon Thames, London KT1 2EE, UK. S.Gould@kingston.ac.uk

ABSTRACT

Background: Recently, natural products have been evaluated as sources of antimicrobial agents with efficacies against a variety of micro-organisms.

Methods: This report describes the antimicrobial activities of pomegranate rind extract (PRE) singularly and in combination with cupric sulphate against methicillin-sensitive and -resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA, MRSA respectively), and Panton-Valentine Leukocidin positive community acquired MSSA (PVL positive CA-MSSA).

Results: PRE alone showed limited efficacy against MRSA and MSSA strains. Exposure to copper (II) ions alone for 2 hours resulted in moderate activity of between 102 to 103 log10 cfu mL-1 reduction in growth. This was enhanced by the addition of PRE to 104 log10 cfu mL-1 reduction in growth being observed in 80% of the isolates. However, the PVL positive CA-MSSA strains were more sensitive to copper (II) ions which exhibited moderate activities of between 103 log10 cfu mL-1 reduction in growth for 60% of the isolates.

Conclusion: PRE, in combination with Cu(II) ions, was seen to exhibit moderate antimicrobial effects against clinical isolates of MSSA, MRSA and PVL positive CA-MSSA isolates. The results of this study indicate that further investigation into the active ingredients of natural products, their mode of action and potential synergism with other antimicrobial agents is warranted. This is the first report of the efficacy of pomegranate against clinical PVL positive CA-MSSA isolates.

Show MeSH

Related in: MedlinePlus

Box Whisker statistical analysis of the viable count data achieved in relation to the antimicrobial activities of PRE alone and in combination with Cu(II) ions after a 2 hour incubation against 10 clinical isolates of PVL positive CA-MSSA using Lambda buffer as a control. (Box represents 25% and 75% quartiles, bar represents median and error bars represent range. Mean cfu mL-1 value shown by a black triangle).
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC2724405&req=5

Figure 3: Box Whisker statistical analysis of the viable count data achieved in relation to the antimicrobial activities of PRE alone and in combination with Cu(II) ions after a 2 hour incubation against 10 clinical isolates of PVL positive CA-MSSA using Lambda buffer as a control. (Box represents 25% and 75% quartiles, bar represents median and error bars represent range. Mean cfu mL-1 value shown by a black triangle).

Mentions: For the PVL positive CA-MSSA isolates, once again the PRE alone had no activity against any isolates studied. In contrast to the MSSA and MRSA, the PVL positive CA-MSSA isolates were more sensitive to copper (II) ions which exhibited a moderate reduction in growth of 103 log cfu mL-1 for 60% of the isolates. Notably, for the remaining 40% of the isolates, less reduction in growth indicated less sensitivity to Cu(II) ions; however, the addition of PRE reduced the growth in these 40% in line with the copper-sensitive 60% (Figure 3).


Anti-microbial activities of pomegranate rind extracts: enhancement by cupric sulphate against clinical isolates of S. aureus, MRSA and PVL positive CA-MSSA.

Gould SW, Fielder MD, Kelly AF, Naughton DP - BMC Complement Altern Med (2009)

Box Whisker statistical analysis of the viable count data achieved in relation to the antimicrobial activities of PRE alone and in combination with Cu(II) ions after a 2 hour incubation against 10 clinical isolates of PVL positive CA-MSSA using Lambda buffer as a control. (Box represents 25% and 75% quartiles, bar represents median and error bars represent range. Mean cfu mL-1 value shown by a black triangle).
© Copyright Policy - open-access
Related In: Results  -  Collection

License
Show All Figures
getmorefigures.php?uid=PMC2724405&req=5

Figure 3: Box Whisker statistical analysis of the viable count data achieved in relation to the antimicrobial activities of PRE alone and in combination with Cu(II) ions after a 2 hour incubation against 10 clinical isolates of PVL positive CA-MSSA using Lambda buffer as a control. (Box represents 25% and 75% quartiles, bar represents median and error bars represent range. Mean cfu mL-1 value shown by a black triangle).
Mentions: For the PVL positive CA-MSSA isolates, once again the PRE alone had no activity against any isolates studied. In contrast to the MSSA and MRSA, the PVL positive CA-MSSA isolates were more sensitive to copper (II) ions which exhibited a moderate reduction in growth of 103 log cfu mL-1 for 60% of the isolates. Notably, for the remaining 40% of the isolates, less reduction in growth indicated less sensitivity to Cu(II) ions; however, the addition of PRE reduced the growth in these 40% in line with the copper-sensitive 60% (Figure 3).

Bottom Line: This was enhanced by the addition of PRE to 104 log10 cfu mL-1 reduction in growth being observed in 80% of the isolates.The results of this study indicate that further investigation into the active ingredients of natural products, their mode of action and potential synergism with other antimicrobial agents is warranted.This is the first report of the efficacy of pomegranate against clinical PVL positive CA-MSSA isolates.

View Article: PubMed Central - HTML - PubMed

Affiliation: School of Life Sciences, Kingston University, Kingston upon Thames, London KT1 2EE, UK. S.Gould@kingston.ac.uk

ABSTRACT

Background: Recently, natural products have been evaluated as sources of antimicrobial agents with efficacies against a variety of micro-organisms.

Methods: This report describes the antimicrobial activities of pomegranate rind extract (PRE) singularly and in combination with cupric sulphate against methicillin-sensitive and -resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA, MRSA respectively), and Panton-Valentine Leukocidin positive community acquired MSSA (PVL positive CA-MSSA).

Results: PRE alone showed limited efficacy against MRSA and MSSA strains. Exposure to copper (II) ions alone for 2 hours resulted in moderate activity of between 102 to 103 log10 cfu mL-1 reduction in growth. This was enhanced by the addition of PRE to 104 log10 cfu mL-1 reduction in growth being observed in 80% of the isolates. However, the PVL positive CA-MSSA strains were more sensitive to copper (II) ions which exhibited moderate activities of between 103 log10 cfu mL-1 reduction in growth for 60% of the isolates.

Conclusion: PRE, in combination with Cu(II) ions, was seen to exhibit moderate antimicrobial effects against clinical isolates of MSSA, MRSA and PVL positive CA-MSSA isolates. The results of this study indicate that further investigation into the active ingredients of natural products, their mode of action and potential synergism with other antimicrobial agents is warranted. This is the first report of the efficacy of pomegranate against clinical PVL positive CA-MSSA isolates.

Show MeSH
Related in: MedlinePlus